Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turbines on the barrow

Options
  • 22-04-2011 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

i said i would go for a drive today having the day off work and went to a place called Milford in co. carlow.

i heard a lot of lads talking about the turbine down there that it was killing hundreds of salmon a year so i said ill call down and have a look around.

there is the front rack going into the turbine to try stop the fish going down into it and the back rack stopping them from coming up that way.

so i walked in across a field to the front rack and had a look there was at least 50 small salmon perch trout pike any kind of a river fish you can think of was dead on the front. so i said ill have to walk down to the back 1 to see what its like and the was 21 big salmon on it some with no heads, chopped in half it was disgraceful to look at it.

so i said i will ring the fishery board i was talking to a lad on the phone and he was telling me he was just at one at the other side of bagnalstown and he was on his way to 1 out near athy he said there has being people ringing us giving out that its not right why cant they shut them down that if the went out fishing and got 1 salmon in the year that there rods would be tuck and a big fine and these lads who own the turbines are aloud kill hundreds of fish a year and noting being done about it.

is there anything that can be done about this or even some info to try ring lads even higher than the fishery board?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

This is very sad to think that its been going on for a while now, you should follow up on your call maybe something is going to be done with some luck,

if your going back out that way take some photos

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Darragh3206

'so i walked in across a field to the front rack and had a look there was at least 50 small salmon perch trout pike any kind of a river fish you can think of was dead on the front'

This is most strange as to how these fish were dead. One could understand how the fish in the outflow side could be killed because they would have travelled down the penstock and through the turbine or came from down stream and up into the turbine, but fish dead in the water before entering the turbine is quite bizzare!!! I would like to see photos if possible because i find it quite hard to understand how this may happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Dead fish on the front as described sounds to me like a localised fish kill from pollution and the intake grid was acting merely as a collector for injured or dead fish drifting downstream with the current.

Advertisement