Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best die to use on a leather saddle?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly a horse saddle but similar, I have a leather single seat saddle on a vintage motorcycle that has faded over the years, I wouldn't mind livening it up again to its original natural colour or else black, any suggestions? I was told to keep clear of shoe dies because they will come off on clothes quite easily.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Not really sure how this forum will help. Generally, we don't dye saddles (but others might). We just use saddle soap to get the shine and flexiblity back into them. Maybe that will help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

sup_dude wrote: »
    Not really sure how this forum will help. Generally, we don't dye saddles (but others might). We just use saddle soap to get the shine and flexiblity back into them. Maybe that will help?
    Cheers, ill try some of that, it should put some life back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

There are a lot of horse related products that might help as suggested most use saddle soap. That said, there are very high end treatments for use on expensive saddles that the manufacturers make. In my own case I have a 1992 mx5 convertible and the leather seats get hammered by the sun. Ive use specific leather care produts that are used in valeting vintage bentleys etc and it was quite good but the last time I did it I used a horsey product called Fiebing. Its designed for old leather and my seats were savage after it. You wont find it everywhere but any Tack/Horse shop near you may be able to order it for you. I think we get it from Abbey in the UK. Heres their website http://www.fiebing.com/Home.aspx

And although your need is for a bike there are many people with saddles that may not have known about these products so it was a good topic to bring up.

Regards,
    Eoghan
    Twomeys Horse and Country

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Or go to any saddlers (I recommend berneys!) and they have the experience and necessary equipment to dye the leather properly :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement