Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear of Moths

Options
  • 22-04-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty horrible fear of moths, they seriously make my skin crawl. The thought of one landing on me and fluttering around makes me want to vomit. I have no idea why I'm afraid of them, I know they can't hurt me.
    I also don't like butterflies because they're similar to moths. I can cope with them though.
    Anyway, is this a common phobia? Because my friends always tease me about it. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Used to be really bad for this. It's always ****e at the beginning of the summer and grand by the end because I get used to dealing with them and killing them efficiently.

Years ago I could barely handle any size moth, now I can approach and kill any moth up to about an inch in size when sober and up to an inch and a half if I've had a few pints. I don't really get the ****ing horrible phobia feeling anymore unless I walk into a room that has two or more large ones in it, in that case it could take me up to half an hour to kill them.

If I see a moth in my gaf I can't rest until it is dead and flushed.

Also if I see an abnormally large moth or a very unusual looking one I will freak right the f**k out for a good while before killing it.

Go on google images and look at tons of moth pictures, it might help to build up a resistance, I did that for a few nights at the beginning of one summer and I think it helped a lot.

F**k moths.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

Don't go to Australia - they have moths almost as big as sparrows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Bleugh! Moths/butterflies anything that even remotely looks like them I hate! I really freak out! That's the only insect creature I'm afraid of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

moths are like scumbag butterflies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Yeah i went out with loads a moths and it bled me dry.

I know this doesn't help in your phobia, but a moth cannot hurt or harm you. I have a phobia of spiders and am having a hard time overcoming it because spiders can and do bite, and some of them are dangerous. I have found in my phobia that knowledge is a great power. Have you tried researching moths and their behaviors, their habitats, different types of moths, etc? I'm practically a spider expert by now, because learning as much as you can helps.... knowing the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I have a terrible fear of the bastards, too, and knowing anything about them, even that they can't hurt me, doesn't help in the slightest. I swear, the things actually fly at me, they dodge everyone else in the room and come at ME, not paranoia here, this happens, I have witnesses. I was once in my bedroom watching a film, it was really humid so I had my top off, the light was off and just the flickering of the monitor lighting up the room. All of a sudden a moth the size of my God damn hand comes straight at me, bumps into my chest as I'm scrambling around, it bumps into my face a couple of times, I'm screaming and flailing about like a moron and finally make it out into the hall in my pants only to find I'd pissed myself a bit. The ***** are attracted to light, why the **** didn't it go for the screen instead of me? I'm not one of those aliens from Cocoon, for crying out loud.

Advertisement