Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire with radio frequency locked

Options
  • 22-04-2011 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I recently went to take a look at a second hand sim free HTC Desire. I couldn't get it working with my meteor sim. The sim allowed me to use the phone, but I was unable to make calls.

I went into settings and attempted to change it to GSM, but it wouldn't allow me.
    According to the seller the radio frequency is locked and it may need the ROM flashing, which would invalidate the warranty.

Does anyone know of another way of sorting this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Never heard of a radio frequency being locked.

Sounds like the phone could be stolen and IMEI blocked, hence the network functionality is de-activated.

Does the SIM register? Do you get Meteor as a carrier name on the pull-down notification bar?
    If you go to Settings / About Phone / Status, what are the network, signal strength & network type?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Did you buy it in Ireland? There are American ones (CDMA) that won't work over here, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Did you buy it in Ireland? There are American ones (CDMA) that won't work over here, as far as I know.

Your right. Cdma only work in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I didn't actually buy it due to the issue. The Dublin based seller still has it. He's looking into the frequency problem.

As far as I know it's a European model.

I not sure about the possibility it was stolen, it came fully boxed with all of the accessories seal in there little plastic bagds.

The sim registered, but there were zero bars of reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

*#*#4636#*#*, and wait til the menu comes up. Then click phone information -> Then scroll down to Set perferred network type. Select WCDMA auto or GSM auto (PRL).. That should work then... If it doesn't see if you have the wrong network selected (Meteor instead of Vodafone etc in Wireless & Network-> Mobile Networks -> Network Operators)

• Advertisement

jwcurtin wrote: »
    *#*#4636#*#*, and wait til the menu comes up. Then click phone information -> Then scroll down to Set perferred network type. Select WCDMA auto or GSM auto (PRL).. That should work then... If it doesn't see if you have the wrong network selected (Meteor instead of Vodafone etc in Wireless & Network-> Mobile Networks -> Network Operators)

I went into a menu in settings that gave me similar options. When I set it to GSM it automatically went back to WCDMA as soon as I confirmed.

RichyX wrote: »
    I went into a menu in settings that gave me similar options. When I set it to GSM it automatically went back to WCDMA as soon as I confirmed.

Still, try this... GSM auto is different option to what you had.

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Still, try this... GSM auto is different option to what you had.

Try my second option ie Change the network :L

Seller just texted me. Apparently the phone has been black listed from Meteor.
    He got the phone off a "friend", so he's a little upset.

Now I have to go look for another phone :(

Bad Buzz :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

the new CEX store just off Henry st has 2nd hand Sim free Desires in stock, plenty of other Android phones in stock allong with some Windows 7 phones, the Desires i saw today looked very clean only one had a few small screen marks, well worth a look ;) plus AFAIK they come with a warranty, i got 12 month warranty on 2nd hand Laptop RAM i bought today. The lads in the store seem to know their stuff too.

projectgtr wrote: »
    the new CEX store just off Henry st has 2nd hand Sim free Desires in stock, plenty of other Android phones in stock allong with some Windows 7 phones, the Desires i saw today looked very clean only one had a few small screen marks, well worth a look ;) plus AFAIK they come with a warranty, i got 12 month warranty on 2nd hand Laptop RAM i bought today. The lads in the store seem to know their stuff too.

Cheers, I've heard good things about that place.

Also considering getting a new Motorola Defy off amazon.

Advertisement