Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Decade do you have the most music from?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

The debate on which decade's music is best has been done to death. I think it would be more interesting to see which decade people have the most music from.

Personally for me it's the 00's, by quite a large margin, because I bought the music when it came out, trying to discover old things. The standard's probably lower on average than other decades, cause generally I only get older music I believe will be good.

Which decade do you have the most music from? 30 votes

50's or Earlier
    0% 0 votes
    60's
    0% 0 votes
    70's
    3% 1 vote
    80's
    23% 7 votes
    90's
    16% 5 votes
    00's
    26% 8 votes
    10's
    30% 9 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

same the 00's for me also followed closely by the 90's. i say the least for me would be the 80's a **** decade for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

70s for me. This is when I started buying my music and most of my favourite bands brought out their best music, Zeppelin, Floyd, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Fleetwood Mac, Lizzy, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Eagles, Roxy Music, Rory Gallagher, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

'80s and always will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

ricero wrote: »
    . i say the least for me would be the 80's a **** decade for music.
    Yep, the decade that first gave us techno, house, hip hop, electro, thrash metal, synth pop, new romantic, hair metal, hiNRG, go go, hardcore punk, gothic rock, italo disco. **** is right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

90s/00s.

The 90s collection mainly consists of Oasis, though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

60s 70s and 80s will always override anything that came after and is around today .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

1980's. Absolutely the best music going. So so many classic albums came from the 1980's. Even disposable pop music was actually fairly class back then, even if the fashion was a bit dodgy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

1990s for me. 00s music was pure shîte!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Whilst I was born in the early 70's,loved music of the 80's I only began collecting music (vinyl) seriously in the 90's ,i've 550+ vinyls made up of dance music circa 90-00 (a select few from the early 00's) + a lage collection of other music spanning 60's to 00's.

I've an eclectic taste for music as a whole but in answer to the op's question , the 90's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

No option for all the above? I had to put Atari Jaguar. With the exception of 50's (not many albums back then compared to later decades) I probably have the same amount of stuff from each decade. It's all good. It's all a progression.

I dunno if it's possible to fully appreciate/understand (good) contemporary music without having listened to as much as what has gone before as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

pinksoir wrote: »
    No option for all the above? I had to put Atari Jaguar. With the exception of 50's (not many albums back then compared to later decades) I probably have the same amount of stuff from each decade. It's all good. It's all a progression.

I dunno if it's possible to fully appreciate/understand (good) contemporary music without having listened to as much as what has gone before as possible.

Most definitely ......... and for any of you with a ear on dance music (in particular Jungle,Hardcore or Drum n Bass) or hip hop ,here's a very informative n educational slice of history.The building block of the genre's mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nolanger wrote: »
    Yep, the decade that first gave us techno, house, hip hop, electro, thrash metal, synth pop, new romantic, hair metal, hiNRG, go go, hardcore punk, gothic rock, italo disco. **** is right!

Yup IMO there was to many puff bands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

90s for me. Alternative rock like The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Spiritualized, electronic stuff like Autechre, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, hip hop like Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, NWA, Common, so much great music was developed in the 90s, that's when most of my CDs are from.

I don't get how anyone can say "nothing will ever be better than X", how closed-minded can you get??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

00's probably. The more accessible the music is, the more I'll probably be able to get my greasy mitts on. I mean when we factor in live sets and mixes the 00's probably takes it easily and I can see the 10's catching up with that very soon.

As for the past, it's more of a cherry picking exercise.

Y'all so casual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Couldn't say really - loads from the 50s and 60s thanks to all the jazz records I've accumulated - basically any Blue Note release from that time is a classic. So, either then or the 00s I'd say, although it would be fairly even all round.

Advertisement