Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Accountancy

Options
  • 21-04-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi I've just been offered a place on this course next Sept I realise it's a new course but if anyone here is maybe familiar with lecturers on the undergrad perhaps they could give me some feedback.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Any advice from anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

I'm in final year accounting in UCC at the moment.

We'd be pretty familiar with the lecturers running the masters course. They'd all be very good lecturers with Derry Cotter, head of Acc Dept, very well respected. Think he used to/still lectures for the institute of chartered accountants. Other lecturers there are good aswell.

They've pushed a lot to us how much interaction they've had with with the big 4 in designing the course so i presume that means they'll be hiring directly from it if they're not sponsoring you already. A lot of the undergrads have been hired by the big 4 already so they obv like UCC.

Can't really think of anything else but if you've any other questions shoot...

What are the job prospect like outside of the big 4 in Cork this year also how many do the big 4 recruit to work in Cork? I'd hate to move to Cork for a masters and then have to move to Dublin a year later for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

ted2767 wrote: »
    What are the job prospect like outside of the big 4 in Cork this year also how many do the big 4 recruit to work in Cork? I'd hate to move to Cork for a masters and then have to move to Dublin a year later for work.

Haven't heard of too many other practice opportunities outside of the big 4 in Cork. Some people have gone back to the companies they worked on in placement but they'd be more industry (Apple, Heineken, Musgraves etc). We do read about opportunities in small practices in the careers newsletter alriight but not sure what these'd be like.

I'd say for Cork big 4 they've taken about 10 from our class. However, the majority of people preferred to go to Dublin so I'd assume there was more vacancies in Cork besides these 10.

Well I suppose there are many more service lines in Dublin as opposed to Cork.
    What is the careers service like in UCC re applications etc?
    Coming from an I.T. with a ****e careers office that'd be a factor for me also I found that many firms prefer university graduates and even with great grades have found it difficult to even get called for interviews this year although given the standard of some of my classmates I can totally understand their reluctance to recruit amongst the I.T. sector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement