Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work problem

Options
  • 21-04-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what do u think of this. My supervisor at work doesn't treat me with respect, I am a temporary contractor who has been working in the same department forr the last 2 years. I work with two other people , one fully permanent and the other a new contractor. The fully permanent worker is new enough to the department, however the supervisor always talks to the permanent worker, when giving us instructions what to do, and when the permanent worker isn't there she nearly starts explaining what to do to the new contractor and not me. I have the most experience in the line but the supervisor treats me like I don't. I am a young contractor (25 years old) , In other departments that I have worked, I have been rated as very good in my reviews, whereas this supervisor only rates me as good. It's the same type of work I do in every department that I have worked. Obvioussly she has some faults with me. It's not the first time this has happened to me. Other people sometimes don't look me in the eye also and don't worry I'm not a stud or anything. I am a quiet person by nature, I used to do a lot of overtime but I completely stopped when I started spotting these signs from my supervisor. She never mentioned any hard work I did at work (i.e. overtime and weekend work.) in any of my reviews and rated other people who did less at work as excellent or very good.

Sometimes this bothers me and often feel suicidal as a lot of things haven't worked out for me in the past . Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

firstly dont ever feel suicidal over a job seriously its not worth it i know at your age its all about a career and building yourself up and thats fine but do not do anything stupid for the sake of someone in work :eek:

why dont you have a quiet word with her in relation to this issue i can only presume that she give instructions to the permanant full time because they are just that and employee of the company whereas you are a contractor yes you may have more experience and worked there longer but you are not an employee

regarding the looking in the eye thing do you look at them when they are talking to you do you hold eye contact??

keep your chin up and try pick up the courage to talk to this supervisor about your role within the company and where you see yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

edellc wrote: »

regarding the looking in the eye thing do you look at them when they are talking to you do you hold eye contact??

keep your chin up and try pick up the courage to talk to this supervisor about your role within the company and where you see yourself

I always look at the person or people I'm speaking to. I find it rude not to make them feel part of the conversation. I always had low self esteem and rarely have confidence in my own abilities. Maybe that's why she doesn't have faith in me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

teednab-el wrote: »
    I always look at the person or people I'm speaking to. I find it rude not to make them feel part of the conversation. I always had low self esteem and rarely have confidence in my own abilities. Maybe that's why she doesn't have faith in me?

Glad to hear it is rude not to look at someone when they are speaking to you

regarding your low self esteem i had the same problem then three things happened for me
    one i realised i was actually good at my job i understood it and got it done on time and it was always right so when i had reviews they could say what they wanted to but could never ever pull me up on incorrect work as it never happened and realising i was good at my job gave me confidence in myself

two i learned that a job is just that i didnt care about the people i worked with nor did they give a crap about me i went in did my job and left and didnt give anyone a second thought and when you disconnect yourself from caring what work colleagues think of you then the freedom that overcomes you is empowering

and finally i treated work like a game that i was going to win so if someone treated me a certain way then i treated them the exact same way if they where dismissive of me well then i was dismissive of them regardless of if they where a manager/supervisor or whoever just remember to do it with a smile on your face and a chirpy tone it totally throws them and they cant say anything cause your not exactly being rude

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sometimes this bothers me and often feel suicidal as a lot of things haven't worked out for me in the past . Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks.

If you're feeling suicidal, please talk to your GP or other health professional about it: we cannot give you medical advice here.

Re temps (either contractor or fixed-term) being treated worse than permies: sorry, but you'll just need to get used to it. There is a pecking order and we (I'm temping myself) are at the bottom of it. On the other hand ... we can leave with very little notice, and we don't have to take part in the office politics etc.

Think Il just quit ,hope I get run over by a train or something, ive nothing to live for now or anything. Amount of sh** that's happened over the last few weeks has f**ked me up totally. Sick of people at work. Stupid b**sterds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Think Il just quit ,hope I get run over by a train or something, ive nothing to live for now or anything. Amount of sh** that's happened over the last few weeks has f**ked me up totally. Sick of people at work. Stupid b**sterds.

hey don't say that its just a fcuking job- quit if you feel its getting to you badly but don't let it grind you down like that.

Contractors/temp staff will allways get the short end of the stick in a work place this is a fact of life- but doesn't mean the manager should not be civil to you. You mention you worked in other departments there, see if you can get a transfer to one to get away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Hold on there mate,
    I have a question for you, answer it honestly (as far as you can on here, don't give names and that just a little more detail if you can),
    The things that have happened you, were they personal or professional?

X1R wrote: »
    Hold on there mate,
    I have a question for you, answer it honestly (as far as you can on here, don't give names and that just a little more detail if you can),
    The things that have happened you, were they personal or professional?

Both are personal and professional. I was really down yesterday, a lot of people showing me disrespect at work, and for the fact that I am sensitive, I can find it very hard to shake off bad things which happen at work sometimes. It wouldn't get most people down but I'm not like most people unfortunately.

Both are personal and professional.
    I know that you have probably heard this loads before (lord knows I have) you need to seperate your work life and personal.

If you have friends/contacts in work you need to let them know that when you are at work, you are working. This is not an easy thing to do and you will soon find out who your friends really are.

Secondly, and this is not easy: Man Up. I too know what it is like to feel/be told you are worthless. Not so. There are times when you could just implode into a pool of tears and others when you could explode and tear the walls down.

When this happens you need to step back, go for a walk, take a pis5 just remove yourself from that situation.

As I type this, there are situations here at work that have rightly fu*ked up my day/week. And my release is this.

Above all remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!!!
    The anger management course I took last year opened my eyes. I thought I was the only implode/explode person in the world. Not so.

If you wanna chat further PM me and I'll send you my number?
    If not, don't panic just see someone GP, Shrink, a close friend just talk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ugh. You're taking the job to heart a bit too much.

1) Talk to the GP about the feeling of emptiness
    2) Make plans. It's easier to work towards something (holiday, level of fitness, etc) if you have a goal
    3) Stop giving a sh|t about the job. Take it less personally, and try to shrug off any negative remarks you get.

• Advertisement

Just wondering how you are fairing up this weather?
    Any improvement or have you seen/spoke to someone?
    :)

X1R wrote: »
    Just wondering how you are fairing up this weather?
    Any improvement or have you seen/spoke to someone?
    :)

I'm having good and bad days still but trying to take some of the useful advice given by yourself and other posters here. Sometimes I feel fine but other times I cant deal with some of the stuff people throw at me at work. Just trying to learn how I can get stronger at work and not care what others think of me especially negative thoughts. Sometimes I don't care about stuff at work but other times I do and that is my downfall. At 25 years of age now it is a work in progress for me I guess.

Advertisement