Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming drum tracks with Cubase / EZ Drummer

Options
  • 21-04-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi lads
    Quick question from Cubase noob.

I'm looking at starting to program drums ASAP. I'll be using Cubase for the forseeable future at least and will probably invest in EZ drummer and possibly one of their percussion packages also for more electronic stuff.

I'm quite familiar with programming MIDI at this stage for electronic/orchestral stuff.

I was trying to download the demo version but couldn't for some reason.

My question is, does the MIDI interface and the interface provided by Toontrack suffice fine for putting together the drumtracks or are there other applications/software that are very recommendable for programming drums using the above software?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dasdog

EZ/SD are triggered by a MIDI keyboard/external device but if you are punching in notes you'll be using the drum editor which is very basic or the regular MIDI track editor in Cubase. Generally, I hit record and bash away on a MIDI keyboard then tidy up afterwards or else edit imported MIDI tracks. The interface with EZ/SD is really used for setting up your kits soundwise (SD is way better than EZ here). EZ Player Pro, which I've never used but I seem to have a license for, can be used for editing/merging existing MIDI tracks in to new ones for importing. If you've got Cubase 5, check out Groove Agent One before buying anything additional. Edit: Just messing around with the Beat Desinger after importing a sliced loop in to GA1. Dropped another copy of the MIDI over an EZ track. Maybe that's what your looking for. Go look on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Toontrack solo is mainly just a host with grooves, your better off to open EZ/SD2 within your DAW and access all from there.

So open the vst within cubase and off ya go, and use the piano roll / matrix edit ro whetever cubase calls it nowadays :D if you get ez you can be pretty limited sound and mic wise but with superior you will have everything you need and the option to access the older ez samples via the xdrum procedure should you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I use EZDrummer with Ableton and don't use a midi control device, It's pretty easy just clicking around once you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

cheers lads, that's what i figured but just wanted to double check..

thanks for ensuring this wasn't a 'tumbleweed thread'

Advertisement