Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Imbalance in Rear Axle

Options
  • 21-04-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla which failed the NCT recently on an Imbalance in the Rear Axle (specifically the Nearside) - I brought it to a garage who replaced the brake pads but it failed again on re-test.

The guy in the NCT center mentioned it could be something about a small hole in the brake line/hose? I could be talking crap here I don't know.

I know it's a tough one to determine without looking at the car, but would anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix [and what is involved]?

Comments

If there was a hole in the hose it would be losing brake fluid. Is it the handbrake or the service brake? A 98 Corolla would have drums and shoes on the back not discs unless it's a 20v or SR sporty model. Might be a wheel cylinder or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Was it the Brake test or the Handbrake test that failed?

It will take a good few miles to bed in the new shoes. Pulling a figure out of my head id say about 500 before they have mated smoothly with the drum.

Were your brakes Bled? From my experience most garages wont do this unless you beg them! Pressure bled is better than using the pedal and at all 4 wheels. I presume the brake cylinders were changed while he was at the brake shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

It failed on the Brake Test, Rear Axle, Nearside.

My mechanic said he had "done" everything [I'm not a car person] so I don't know... I'm only going by what the guy at the NCT said to me about the hole in the line?

Advertisement