Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Leaving Cert

Options
  • 21-04-2011 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post, a little be nervous. tongue.gif
    I am 25yrs old and living in HK. I took my A-Level (HK) exam fews yr ago and the result as below:

Chinese Language and Culture - AS Level (D)
    Use of English - AS Level (F)
    Business Studies - A Level (E)
    Principles of Accounts - A Level (E)
    Mathematics and Statistics - AS Level (F)
    Computer Applications - AS Level (F)

and LCCI Higher Lever for Accounting (C)

I would like to attend 2013 Leaving Cert.
    My friend can teachs me that he studied secondary school and university in Ireland but it's almost 10 years ago...And we think some syllabus could be adjusted.
    Now, there are fews questions would like to have some advises, thanks a lot!smile.gif

I planned to take the below subjusts:
    - English (o)
    - Maths (H)
    - Accounting (H)
    - Economics (H)
    - A. maths (H)
    - Business (H)

If there is not enough, I may take Home Economics (H) also.

1. Are these subjusts suitable for me? Any others?
    2. For English, I'm not sure how many novels should I read for the exam, I quite confuse on this part. Can someone tell me more about the syllabus? I already started to read Emma. :)
    3. Please advise me the textbooks/ reference books for the above subjusts.
    4. Anythings that I missed? need to concern?

Also, I would like to make some friends here to share the exam experience or even more! biggrin.gif

Many thanks,
    SILVIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Would you consider Physics? You seem to be a mathsy type!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 silviayan

Thanks, let me find more info.
    However, would Physics exam needs to write lots of essay or long statment?

The most I concern for the exam is my English... My weakness is writing a long essay in English without "Dictionary" .......

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

You are allowed to use a dictionary in all exams except english, so that wouldn't be a problem...

wow~~~~~~ Amazing!
    Thank you for telling me this wonderful news!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    You are allowed to use a dictionary in all exams except english, so that wouldn't be a problem...

You can't use a dictionary in French :confused:

• Advertisement

"English" dictionary is enough as I always losing marks caused my spelling. Just like written "Lossing marks" not "Losing marks". It will be so great if I can double check my spelling when I checking my answers. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You're allowed use dictionaries? :confused: I've never heard this before, and it doesn't make sense. If you were asked for a definition, which comes up in nearly all subjects I'd imagine, you could just look it up in the dictionary...which isn't exactly the point of an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Only if English isn't your first language.

Anyway, regarding English, it's not so much reading the book as it is knowing the themes/frequently asked questions well.

My 1st language is Chinese, anyway, I will try my best to improve my spelling before the exam.

About English, I not really sure how many novels should I read for O level....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0004_2011.pdf?language=EN
    There you go!

Btw, Emma isn't on the syllabus for 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Slow Show wrote: »
    You're allowed use dictionaries? :confused: I've never heard this before, and it doesn't make sense. If you were asked for a definition, which comes up in neat all subjects I'd imagine, you could just look it up in the dictionary...which isn't exactly the point of an exam.

You don't get a normal dictionary that gives you definitions. Say, if you are French, you would get a English/French dictionary. So, you will be able to find the English for French words which you don't know, and you won't be getting any definition.

Hi Coeurdepirate, I found this pdf document which make me confuse.

The 1st list doesn't shown "Emma" but shown on the 2nd list.
    However, some books shown both 1st and 2nd list.

Should I choose one of the book shown on both list? e.g.Circle of Friends

Hi Desire, Thanks you!
    I will bring my dictionary and ask for its help : )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you have somewhere in mind to sit your Leaving Cert?
    Make sure to contact the SEC Exam entries section in plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Slow Show wrote: »
    You're allowed use dictionaries? :confused: I've never heard this before, and it doesn't make sense. If you were asked for a definition, which comes up in nearly all subjects I'd imagine, you could just look it up in the dictionary...which isn't exactly the point of an exam.

A dictionary such as English - Chinese in this case I would imagine. So the person doing the exam can understand what they are reading in front of them not get definitions out of it. It wouldn't be a regular English dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

silviayan wrote: »
    Thanks, let me find more info.
    However, would Physics exam needs to write lots of essay or long statment?

The most I concern for the exam is my English... My weakness is writing a long essay in English without "Dictionary" .......

As far as I can remember there was no essays. Much shorter answers than business and economics anyway.

I did Maths, App Maths, Business, Accounting, Economics and Physics so thats why I thought it might be good :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

isnt the world supposed to end by 2012 :P ...

oj carry on :P

Thanks all of you!!!!
    I will try my best for my exam on 2013 :)

Hope all of you will get a GOOD result!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Well you have loads of time to improve on your english and other subjects that you are planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0004_2011.pdf?language=EN
    There you go!

Btw, Emma isn't on the syllabus for 2013.

Wow Macbeth is on for my Leaving Cert :eek: Thank god I did Transition Year. I did Macbeth for Junior Cert also, so it's a huge bonus. Delighted :)

Sorry for the off-topic post btw. But seriously, well done for actually going back to 2nd level and trying to improve on your grades. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CKehoe

Accounting is a hard enough subject but is quite repetitive. You can almost predict the some stuff. in 2013 I fell for question 1 a company account with manufacturing will appear and Incomplete records for Section B. Section C is also one question on costing the other on budgeting so stick to 1 of the other whichever is your strongest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

CKehoe wrote: »
    Accounting is a hard enough subject but is quite repetitive. You can almost predict the some stuff. in 2013 I fell for question 1 a company account with manufacturing will appear and Incomplete records for Section B. Section C is also one question on costing the other on budgeting so stick to 1 of the other whichever is your strongest.

Haha WOW never heard of a prediction for the leaving cert two years in the future :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CKehoe

Haha WOW never heard of a prediction for the leaving cert two years in the future :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

ya its called researching if you look yourself

Advertisement