Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting while grooming but only sometimes :/

Options
  • 20-04-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

I got my new horse recently enough so i am still getting used to everything about her.

I have noticed that before riding or working she doesnt mind being groomed, she even seems to enjoy it. Afterwards however she gets quite bothered when i groom her, especially her neck and shoulder area. She doesnt pin her ears back or kick, just turns around and tries snapping at me. I switched to a softer brush but she still bites :/ i leave her a good bit of time to cool down after exercise, so im not quite sure what the deal is.

Any ideas? And whats the best thing to stop her biting.

She also snaps a bit when tightening the girth, but i guess this isnt so unusual.

Ps she is a chestnut mare, perhaps the myths are true

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My guy snaps when I do up the girth, I do it up slower now and he doesnt seem to mind. I put it on the first or second hole when I put it on first and then up higher before I get on. He can be a bit nippy when I groom him too and I tend to ignore it when he turns his head around, the brush I use is mega soft so not that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Horses can be ticklishy in different places, be careful coming into summer with fly bites on the horse.

I do up the girth one hole at a time using both sides. I don't ride with a sword so I don't do everything from the left.

Shunt her with your elbow if she swings her head towards you or keep a stiffer brush in your left hand so she gets a mouthful of bristles if she tries to bite. Reprimand the biting and praise her when she doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Yeah, I use both sides of the girth when tightening usually, and try do it as softly as possible. If I do it when I'm up on her, she has no problems at all with it. My last pony was the exact same, so I'm used to this anyway.

I'll make note of keeping another brush on me for her to bite instead of me, and she'll hopefully cop on soon enough.
    Tis strange how she likes to get brushed before I ride her...maybe she's sick of me by the time I get off her:p

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi there,

This is what we would check for first:

Saddle not fitted/fitting correctly (could also be past damage)
    Side Reins to tight
    Cast injury
    Back injury
    Top Line Developement

If all those are ok and you feel there is no problem there then after work a horse can be very sensitive in this area due to blood flow. Try cooling her down with water. This can only be done in certain times of year obviously!!! Some horse will always be hyper sensitive there but its worth checking the other issues first and then try the cooling.

<snip>

Advertisement