Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC students: how hard is it to find part time work?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get into Law in either UCC or UL next year (I'd prefer UCC... more craic!), but aside from grants I'll be entirely supporting myself- accomodation, food etc. Are any of you finding it hard to find someplace that'll hire students in the city? I figured I'd print up a few CVs and hand them into a few places around town with cover letters saying I can begin any time after the LC, not sure how effective that tactic will be but it's worth a shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Best of luck and stay positive but you should plan for a scenario where you can live without money from a part time job. There's sweet FA out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

njd2010 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get into Law in either UCC or UL next year (I'd prefer UCC... more craic!), but aside from grants I'll be entirely supporting myself- accomodation, food etc. Are any of you finding it hard to find someplace that'll hire students in the city? I figured I'd print up a few CVs and hand them into a few places around town with cover letters saying I can begin any time after the LC, not sure how effective that tactic will be but it's worth a shot.

best of luck - law at UCC is really good

not a lot of work around during the summer - good chance of barwork from Oct to Dec with jazz festival, run up to xmas etc - throw cv's into the non student pubs try mccurtain St and bars down by the GPO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ontap.ie will shortly be looking for event staff, bar workers etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

I'd say it's hard enough to find a part time job at the moment. I have a lot of friends looking at the moment for some sort of summer work but they don't seem to be having much luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

I've held a part time job all through my 4 years in UCC. If you're willing to put effort into looking then I think you'd be okay. Obviously there aren't as many jobs anymore but the pubs and night clubs always hire staff at the start of the college year. There's a thread in the Cork City forum about jobs in Cork so maybe check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Sometimes you can get lucky and find a place, other people like PirateNinja just always seem to land on their feet. Best bet is to just hand Cv's in to as many places as possible and hope for the best.

Advertisement