Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with the poor air quality?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Has been bad for a while but today is the worst. From my elevated position I can see cloud above me, occasional blue skies. Into the valley I have about 2km visibility. Does not seem to be moisture. Slight breeze, NE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Very bad here also today, visibility very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's just haze. It's going to be around a good bit over the next week with the persistent easterlies bringing Europe's pollutants our way, trapped under the subsidence inversion. In summer this haze can hide approaching Spanish Plume thunderstorms until they're almost overhead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was going to joke you are in Abbeyfeale but yep a SE airflow means haze, a NW aiflow means clear blue skies and then rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's just haze. It's going to be around a good bit over the next week with the persistent easterlies bringing Europe's pollutants our way, trapped under the subsidence inversion. In summer this haze can hide approaching Spanish Plume thunderstorms until they're almost overhead!
    I've never seen a "Spanish Plume" thunderstorm in this country?
    Our thunderstorms seem to be the homegrown variety. Southern England gets them though as they move north from France but the cold sea around Ireland means they never get as far as us.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

UnitedKingdom_amo_2011112.jpg

Quite a lot going on in this satellite image: Haze; Algal blooms, The Haar...

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=50214&src=nha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The Haar?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

The Haar?
    Coastal fog that affects the North Sea Coast of the UK.

Advertisement