Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Help ASAP

Options
  • 20-04-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am currently trying to broaden my musical taste, as i have got to a point now when i play anything on my laptop...its kinda boring because i have listened to it all before.

I last three "new" bands i found were; Mumford & Sons, Avett Brothers and Bon Iver

I don't know who are the next bands out there, so i really need your help

I have a fairly sizable collection as it stands and it includes:

A Perfect Circle
    Air
    Arcade Fire
    Audioslave
    Blur
    Bon Iver
    Bright Eyes
    The Boss
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    CSS
    David Bowie
    Eels
    Fatboy Slim
    Foo's
    Jethro Tull
    Jimi Hendrix
    Zepplein
    Modest Mouse
    Neil Young
    Oasis
    Pink Floyd
    Pearl Jam
    REM
    System of a Down
    Go! Team
    Avett Brothers
    Mumford and Sons
    The National
    Tool

Ok i konw there is alot of music there...but that is only some of my stuff, so i am hoping from that list ye might be able to work out what i may like.

So any suggestions would be great

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rather than posting up a big list which others will no doubt do I'm going to direct you to Music Map first off. Secondly I would recommend visiting Jamendo, picking a genre that you like and download away.

Lastly check out The Birthday Massacre just because I think they are surprisingly little-known despite being well worth a listen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

www.Last.fm is another good one for finding similar music to what you already have.

One band I'm listening to pretty much non stop at the moment is The Airborne Toxic Event. Ignore the terribly emo sounding name, they're pretty great (I think anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Your taste is similar to mine, a couple I'd recommend are Beach House, Phosphorescent, The Antlers.

For finding similar stuff, I like 8tracks.com, type in an artist or something and find mixes that people made.

I make a playlist of new stuff to listen to each month, this month's looks like the following (all of which I'd recommend to some degree as I remove the stuff that I don't like):

Noah and the Whale - Last Night on Earth
    Dirty Beaches - Badlands
    REM - Collapse Into Now
    The Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave
    Low - C'Mon
    Phosphorescent - To Willie
    Panda Bear - Tomboy
    Phosphorescent - The Weight of Flight EP
    Maritime - Human Hearts
    Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care
    Paul Simon - So Beautiful or So What
    Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be