Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish clan for the next sc2cl?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

hey,

I figured that most of us dont have a clan, or are not players in their clans (like myself) and I think it d be nice to register a "boards" team for the next season of the sc2cl

we got plenty of time for it (should be in august) but it d be nice to see who s motivated.

We d start from the bottom division so any level is good. It s more for fun. We need 4 players in 1v1 and one 2v2 pair. But more people is always goo (in case one cannot show up)

who would be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Hey Baal,

Just a few things before I go any further (:

Committing to a team, especially a competitive, one is exactly that - it's a commitment. By playing competitively in SC2CL you will be giving up a majority of your Sunday's to play Clan Wars. On top of that, the competitive scene is unpleasant - it's nothing like the relaxed atmosphere you experience here, on ladder or at LANs. It's a lot of bitching, a lot of miscommunication and a lot of people looking for low-blows.

If you were to go ahead with it you'd have to outline some very clear objectives and aims, focus on setting up a CORE roster/team and looking for a balance of players/races. Also, one thing can often lead to another - if you compete in SC2CL, others may want to go further and further. Furthermore, scheduling organised "practice/training nights" will pretty much be obligatory for the upcoming CWs. *

There's also quite a bit of "behind the scenes" work to be done in SC2CL - the team captain has to write out the team lineup in advance of the CW. He needs to know whose available, when they can play, communicate with the other team, communicate with the League Admins and try and ensure a smooth running of the actual CW.

So, realistically, while it might come across as a fun idea it's actually really hard to pull off. As far as I remember (I competed in the BETA season of it) SC2CL is something like 12 weeks long. From my personal experience of the Irish scene I honestly doubt you'd find 5 people willing to commit to a team for 12 weeks, yet stick at training, etc, for that long.

Other than that, since the "collapse" of UV's SC2 division I've been looking for a team, gotten a few offers and **** but I really don't know what I want to do yet because of me moving to Canada in a few weeks. After the first LAN, myself, Funky, Khaz and Blinn were speaking about possibly forming a team but since then I haven't seen anyone other than Funky who I play regularly. What I'm saying is - do we even have the DEDICATED player-base for it? I doubt it.

If, however, you're willing to put in the time and effort, I'd much rather be in a competitive/casual Irish/UK-based team than something more international. But, you've already missed out on this seasons SC2CL so you'd be basically waiting until (after???) the summer before this kicks off which, I guess, is a good time to get it all set up.

Good luck (:

*CW = Clan War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭F69Baal

Yes i am familiar with the sc2cl, i played in the beta season for F69, which then became ESC and proceeded into winning the whole thing.

I ve also played 10+ seasons of the BWCL with various teams.

If you are in the lower divisions no specific training is needed. Average laddering is good enough. As for the races, same. And the Clan Wars there are fun enough. Some teams are bad mannered but most of them are actually nice fellas. The worse is when you get to div1 or master div, you ll find the most bm teams and players (like LG), STFO, to name a few)

If we can find about 10 players, that s only one sunday every two weeks for each player. (obviously people willing to play every week are welcome to do so).

Like you said, next season isnt until august (or even later) so I was just throwing out the idea.

As far as admin duties go, we can have a couple admins (like 2-3) just in case one cant come on a particular day, but it s not a big deal. There is a dedicated thread for each clan war

So, one season is actually 11 weeks long (given the current format), all games are played on sundays at 8pm CET, 7PM GMT.

The point of that idea was more to motivate players to improve (may be diamond/low master) by playing in a league. I actually assumed you and Khaz were already in a team ^^

Obviously if we can have you two and Funky and Blinn, then it d be a very good squad. But I really doubt that the level in division 5 is anywhere close to yours. When it was still the bwcl, the lower divisions were D+/C- players, which roughly gives platinum/diamond nowadays.

As for the irish scene, well i dont know much of it aside from the LAN in Dublin, but I m optimistic and I hope motivated players can be found!

Well, my problem is that I'm moving to Canada and obviously won't be bringing my PC with me. However, if I can find a suitable cafe and what-not by the end of the summer and depending on my working hours you can definitely count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

C- bw mechanics are kinda overkill for sc2... ^^ Fwiw, I'd be interested in playing though definitely not every weekend, exams y'know ;). Not everyone's like Mordeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd be up for it, I'm going to back to uni but thats way off yet, so my summer is looking pretty sparse. I play something like 3-4 hours a day give or take.

At the same time, I'm far inferior to the other players in this thread so don't expect much. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...how is this coming along then? :P

http://ukstarcraft.net/2011/04/25/a-look-at-starcraft-2-teams-and-clans-in-the-uk/

Some of these are actually quite good players so you might want to approach some of them for advice and what-not.

Advertisement