Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOTR type books

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend books similar to the LOTRs. Excuse my ignorance if their is already a thread about this.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Given that LOTR was one of the first series of high fantasy books and pretty much kick started the genre it could be argued that most books in that genre are similar to them.

What particular elements of the LOTR books did you like and would want to see in other books?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If you're into elves and ancient evils, terry brooks stuff is quite like LOTR. Personally i wouldn't be a huge fan of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cbsam74

Sharrow wrote: »
    Given that LOTR was one of the first series of high fantasy books and pretty much kick started the genre it could be argued that most books in that genre are similar to them.

What particular elements of the LOTR books did you like and would want to see in other books?

The main elements that i liked were the wide variety of races, each with its distinctive culture, language, and history, ranging from the Shirefolk to the majestic elves, from the numerous groups of men to the vicious orcs, and the descrpition of the various lands they come from. Pure escapism to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

If you want a large story arc with lots of chars and cultural differences which is a very easy read then I suggest the David Eddings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

It you are after something more gritty then Brandon Sanderson's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn

Then there is Raymond E. Feist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riftwar

And for something which is a bit different but a wonderful example of different races and cultures Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empire_Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Get on the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon before it takes off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Second the Song of Ice and Fire recommendation.

The Eragon series (trilogy to date, one more book due) is quite good for lots of different races/cultures etc. if you don't mind less gritty fare like LOTR.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Alongside Eddings and Brooks, try Tad Williams's "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy which he set out to be his homage to "Lord of the Rings". It's excellent.
    Get on the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon before it takes off!
    But if the OP is looking for a story in the style of LotR then this doesn't fit - there's not loads of races for example and it's not really an epic quest story. It's much more politically based. It's an excellent story but not in the same vein at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Very Different but very epic, is the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant,_the_Unbeliever

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Straightforward fantasy, but still an excellent read, and probably one of the more LOTR type writers out there - Magician by Raymond E Feist. This is part of a trilogy called the Riftwar Saga. Some of his stuff can be hit and miss, but this is still a fine read imo, and isn't particularly heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

5starpool wrote: »
    Straightforward fantasy, but still an excellent read, and probably one of the more LOTR type writers out there - Magician by Raymond E Feist. This is part of a trilogy called the Riftwar Saga. Some of his stuff can be hit and miss, but this is still a fine read imo, and isn't particularly heavy.

I'd second this, its still very much classic fantasy but is a bit less cliched thatn some other books you could read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

What about the His Dark Materials series

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cbsam74

Thanks all for help and advice much appreciated. I'll be heading to the bookshop later with a good long list. cheers

Your library might have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Thomas Covenant +1

These are a little different to LOTR, but similar scope.
    The Saga of the Exiles is interesting if you know any Irish mythology.
    Saga of the Exiles - Julian May
    Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

niallb wrote: »
    Thomas Covenant +1

These are a little different to LOTR, but similar scope.
    The Saga of the Exiles is interesting if you know any Irish mythology.
    Saga of the Exiles - Julian May
    Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe

I was just about to suggest these two, they are miles ahead of most others in the genre. I'd also suggest the earlier works of Michael Moorcock and David Gemmel though they don't usually involve other races like Elves and Dwarves. I couldn't recommend The Song of Fire and Ice as it left me cold. The second book in the series really suffers from "middle book of a trilogy syndrome" and absolutely nothing interesting happens in it. The Belgariad is fun but doesn't stand up to scrutiny as a serious work so don't expect it to be like LOTR or any other Tolkien.

If you want great fantasy I would recommend anything by Jack Vance particularly the Dying Earth books or the Planet of Adventure series.

+1 on Julian May

That's more sci fi than fantasy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Based on the OP I'd recommend Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga (starting with Magician), the Serpentwar Saga and the Empire Triolgy.

After that I'd recommend Robert Jordans Wheel of Time. Heavy going espically from book 6 onwards but I think if you liked the LOTR books (which I didn't!) you will like these.

Both of these imo take Tolkiens ideas and elaborate and improve on them tenfold. Tolkiens writing style is far too long winded and dated for me. Great story tho!

OP, while the above are excellent in their own rights and pretty fundamental reading for any fantasy buff, they are by no means the best. Don't be afraid to branch out into some of the other avenues suggested already as they are very rewarding! The fantasy genre threatened to become a bit stagnant for a while there but authors like Brent Weeks, Peter V.Brett, Brandon Sanderson, Ian Irvine are a breath of fresh air and breaking the mold so its an exciting place to be again!

+1 Raymond E. Feist pretty good.

Robert Jordans Wheel of Time as you say is good, well at least the early books. I got as far as book 10 I think, then stopped. The storyline was just too complicated, too many characters. Very LOTR ish though. At least in the early books.

Sightly left of center, and purely ScFi, is Amtrak wars. But a nice epic. its years since I read it though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

They might have aged badly, but the Dragonlance Chronicles had all the trappings of classic fantasy with elves, dwarves, and clear lines of heroic good and vile evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

BostonB wrote: »
    +1 Raymond E. Feist pretty good.

Robert Jordans Wheel of Time as you say is good, well at least the early books. I got as far as book 10 I think, then stopped. The storyline was just too complicated, too many characters. Very LOTR ish though. At least in the early books.

Sightly left of center, and purely ScFi, is Amtrak wars. But a nice epic. its years since I read it though.
    I used to like the Amtrak Wars when they were first released and eagerly awaited each new book but they got progressively worse and worse. They end so anti-climatically too.

• Advertisement

You could be right, I was probably early teens when I read it. Which is ahem, a while ago.

Advertisement