Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design a Dino

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Just been sitting here thinking. Evolution goes on, and always has done. So if the dino's had not vanished 65 million years ago, which traits would have proved successful by now?

I began on thinking about the best adaptations that some of the predatory animals had evolved and decided to try and compile a list of what, if it had evolved, would be the ultimate land predator by now.

Feel free to add to the list.

Wide angle binocular vision as in T.Rex.
    Lethal claws as in Utah raptor.
    Speed as in smaller raptors.
    Great sense of smell.
    Great sense of hearing.
    Intelligence as in us?
    Some defensive armament, possibly as in Ankylosaurs, although this would impact on speed. Feathered armour???
    Size and strength.
    Ability to swim as may be supposed by Spinosaurus.
    Immunity to disease and quick healing as in crocodillians?

Ok I am running dry now, any other ideas?
    Anyone an atrist who can put all this together?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

And a GAU mini-gun. (Think Preditor / Terminator 2)
    Even then I'd still bet on a T-Rex:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Just been sitting here thinking. Evolution goes on, and always has done. So if the dino's had not vanished 65 million years ago, which traits would have proved successful by now?

I began on thinking about the best adaptations that some of the predatory animals had evolved and decided to try and compile a list of what, if it had evolved, would be the ultimate land predator by now.

Feel free to add to the list.

Wide angle binocular vision as in T.Rex.
    Lethal claws as in Utah raptor.
    Speed as in smaller raptors.
    Great sense of smell.
    Great sense of hearing.
    Intelligence as in us?
    Some defensive armament, possibly as in Ankylosaurs, although this would impact on speed. Feathered armour???
    Size and strength.
    Ability to swim as may be supposed by Spinosaurus.
    Immunity to disease and quick healing as in crocodillians?

Ok I am running dry now, any other ideas?
    Anyone an atrist who can put all this together?

I'm an artist, or at least I try, so I'll give it a shot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Or an F15 Alvin?:pac:

Excellent Adam, I look forward to what you can turn up. Just a flight of fancy on my part. "What if.......?".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or an F15 Alvin?:pac:
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyone else thinking of the Chaos Effect toyline?
    http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_Chaos_Effect
    Some funky stuff there.
    Customised_Ultimasaurus.jpg
    'Ultimasaurus'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Guys, I've been mad busy, I'm sorry I haven´t uploaded the uber-dino yet. :S

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Guys, I've been mad busy, I'm sorry I haven´t uploaded the uber-dino yet. :S

take your time.
    Say, if you have anything else online why not post it in the Art thread.

Galvasean wrote: »
    take your time.
    Say, if you have anything else online why not post it in the Art thread.

Not sure if that's a good idea. I've been crucified because of my art before XD

Well at least we don't criticise honest efforts in here. (Mainly because none of us with the notable exception of mighty lord Galvasean is perfect)

Oh such flattery :o

• Advertisement

Well at least we don't criticise honest efforts in here. (Mainly because none of us with the notable exception of mighty lord Galvasean is perfect)

Well, ok then, but, please keep in mind that I often favor the cool factor over scientific accuracy, so please, please, don´t bomb me with comments about how they are all inaccurate :( It gets really tiresome after a short while.

Scientific accuracy: taking the fun out of art since the dawn of time...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Scientific accuracy: taking the fun out of art since the dawn of time...

Thank you! :)

My post seems to have appeared slightly altered... Now who do I know with the ability to do such a dastardly act??????:pac:

My post seems to have appeared slightly altered... Now who do I know with the ability to do such a dastardly act??????:pac:

Must have been Marco Polo. He's a moderator dontchaknow...

Advertisement