Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Gardai Siochana, Sponsered by Toyota?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Recently any of the Garda vehicles I have seen, mostly 2011 models but also some 2010 are sporting a very distinctive number plate surround advertising Toyota and www.toyota.ie.

I know this is not the end of the world as we know it but I always thought the guards were completely impartial and were not allowed advertise any company? I also thought those responsible for purchasing the vehicles would have inspected them and insisted Toyota remove these number plate surrounds whose sole purpose is advertising, and ask them to explain why they saw fit to advertise on Garda vehicles.

I have also seen advertising on other vehicles where the tax disc holders are advertising some windscreen replacement company.

Does nobody check new vehicles for such advertising and why are Toyota allowed do this? Has someone received payment for this advertising?

Comments

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Recently any of the Garda vehicles I have seen, mostly 2011 models but also some 2010 are sporting a very distinctive number plate surround advertising Toyota and www.toyota.ie.

I know this is not the end of the world as we know it but I always thought the guards were completely impartial and were not allowed advertise any company? I also thought those responsible for purchasing the vehicles would have inspected them and insisted Toyota remove these number plate surrounds whose sole purpose is advertising, and ask them to explain why they saw fit to advertise on Garda vehicles.

I have also seen advertising on other vehicles where the tax disc holders are advertising some windscreen replacement company.

Does nobody check new vehicles for such advertising and why are Toyota allowed do this? Has someone received payment for this advertising?

It's a reg plate holder. Who cares what it says? The Ford's have Ford garages on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

A question for you. Why object to this and not to the fact that the cars are Toyota branded, Big Toyota logo on the front and back of the cars. This is also advertising.

People are seeing An Garda Siochana driving around in Toyota Avensises, Avensii, Avensis'???? What is the plural anyway?, is very good advertising for that car.

[Sarcasm]Maybe we should go along the lines of Japan's national police and remove all branding from the state fleet.[/Sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

One of the unmarked Mondeos in Galway has a garage (Motorpark) sticker on the back windscreen. I think it was deliberately put there to make the car less obvious. Shame about the other glaringly obvious tell-tale signs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There could be seen to be a conflict of interest if said garage was involved in less than legal activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apparently the Garda change car makes every few years as they tender for the fleet. i don't see anything wrong with makers stickers on the cars. The important thing is that they are road-worthy as i have seen some in the last year that appear otherwise due to cutbacks.

• Advertisement

There could be seen to be a conflict of interest if said garage was involved in less than legal activities.

We only use main dealers.

foreign wrote: »
    We only use main dealers.

Exactly.

Remember the price fixing cartel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Exactly.

You're clutching at straws mate!

Where are AGS meant to get their vehicles serviced and repaired? any business that ags deals with that is found to be operating illegally would be investigated the same as any other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Conspiracy Theories
    >

Exactly.

It's actually part of the tender process.

• Advertisement

You're clutching at straws mate!

Where are AGS meant to get their vehicles serviced and repaired? any business that ags deals with that is found to be operating illegally would be investigated the same as any other business.

Would you not think it would be embarassing for the GS to be investigating a business, while their vehicles carry advertisments for that business? Trust me that just because they are a "main dealer" that does not exclude them from acting in a less than lawful way.
    Another way of looking at it is, gouger with a gripe sees all patrol cars are fixed at Joe Blogs-Main fornisstyosubishi dealer. Now he knows where to steal his next car from/engage in a bit of criminal damage.
    Why make it easy for them? Just ditch the advertising surrounds.

There are clear guidelines for this, they are covered in the tender documents for all servicing contracts.(can't find them right now, OPW have revamped their website) The dealers usually know the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

The plate surrounds say nothing but Toyota.ie. The same way it says Toyota on the front and back of the car. They don't advertise a particular garage.

I really don't get your comment about stealing a car??

At the end of the day, does it matter? AGS use a huge number of businesses, Topaz, local chipper for prisoner meals, car wash companies, cleaning contractors. Any of these companies could end up in trouble!!

There are clear guidelines for this, they are covered in the tender documents for all servicing contracts.(can't find them right now, OPW have revamped their website) The dealers usually know the score.

And what guidelines would they be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The plate surrounds say nothing but Toyota.ie. The same way it says Toyota on the front and back of the car. They don't advertise a particular garage.
    They say Toyota on the left hand side and www.toyota.ie on the right and they are advertising Toyota and Toyota main dealers listed on the website, this is covered in the tendering process and the same rules apply to all items bought for government use. It could also be covered by some law but I will leave it for someone else to search about the legality of our police cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

"The Car in front is a Toyota"

Just be gratefull its not behind. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oh dear lord . . . . . If the registration holder was not there would you think it was another type of car.

From the etenders.gov.ie website
    Conflicts of Interest
    3.6******** Contracting authorities should be aware of potential conflicts of interest in the tendering process and should take appropriate action to avoid them. Care should be taken to ensure that project specifications and criteria should be as open and generic as possible in order to avoid favouring any one solution or any one party.*

Zambia wrote: »
    Oh dear lord . . . . . If the registration holder was not there would you think it was another type of car.
    The whole point is the registration holder should not be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The whole point is the registration holder should not be there!
    Ok you should write to someone really you should.

From the etenders.gov.ie website

Conflicts of Interest
    3.6******** Contracting authorities should be aware of potential conflicts of interest in the tendering process and should take appropriate action to avoid them. Care should be taken to ensure that project specifications and criteria should be as open and generic as possible in order to avoid favouring any one solution or any one party.*

I doubt there is anything in the tender that said the reg holders have to be blank. And besides, that is referring to the process not the end product.
    They say Toyota on the left hand side and www.toyota.ie on the right and they are advertising Toyota and Toyota main dealers listed on the website, this is covered in the tendering process and the same rules apply to all items bought for government use. It could also be covered by some law but I will leave it for someone else to search about the legality of our police cars.

But they are on a TOYOTA CAR. It has the logo in a prominent t position on the front and brace yourself now Toyota Avensis on the rear.
    Zambia wrote: »
    Ok you should write to someone really you should.

I agree fully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

AGS are also sponsored by Bic. I saw a Garda using a Bic pen once with the logo emblazoned across the side of the pen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

AGS are also sponsored by Bic. I saw a Garda using a Bic pen once with the logo emblazoned across the side of the pen.

They were previously sponsored by that conglomerate "Oifig an tSolatháir" who had their ads on everything from toilet roll holders to treasury tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Shocking. I saw one putting Ever Ready batteries into a torch once. i Nearly collapsed.

foreign wrote: »
    I doubt there is anything in the tender that said the reg holders have to be blank. And besides, that is referring to the process not the end product.
    project specifications and criteria should be as open and generic as possible in order to avoid favouring any one solution or any one party.
    That sounds very much like they should not contain the name or website of any person or company especially when the website contains contact details of all Toyota main dealers.
    But they are on a TOYOTA CAR. It has the logo in a prominent t position on the front and brace yourself now Toyota Avensis on the rear.

I agree fully
    That is the actual vehicle, those logos are placed by the manufacturer, the number plate holder is not a part of the new car but an advertising attached by the main dealerships. there is nothing added to the badges on the cars stating where they were bought or advertising a website with a list of Toyota main dealers.

I would also suggest these were not present if/when the new vehicles were inspected by those responsible for purchasing as I'm sure if they had seen them they would have insisted on their removal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

storm_in_a_teacup.jpg

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement