Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on a rally car?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Has anyone here ever tried to put a rally car through an NCT?

Had entered for a rally in the North but have now been told I can't enter as my car does not have an NCT.

The car has bucket seats, roll cage, 6 point harnesses, modified engine, etc. I can't imagine there is any way it would get through an NCT.

But if people are entering rallies in the North, then obviously others are getting NCTs on their cars.

I have tried e-mailing and calling the NCT people but they have been unable to provide me with an answer on this.

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

every irish rally car i have ever seen has had a yellow plate

you can tax and mot them much easier in the north afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Mine's on Irish plates unfortunately, but it's something to look into I suppose..

put it on yellow plates and mot it i'm pretty sure thats how you do it

try rally.ie for more definate answers

Tigger wrote: »

Surely a NI address is required for that. Southern folk with NI reg cars are a revenue target.

I'd prefer to have kept it on the plates it's on, but I guess that may not be an option given no-one at the NCT centre seems to know anything about it.

I haven't seen anything about it on rally.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

R0C wrote: »

Had entered for a rally in the North but have now been told I can't enter as my car does not have an NCT.

The car has bucket seats, roll cage, 6 point harnesses, modified engine, etc. I can't imagine there is any way it would get through an NCT.

But if people are entering rallies in the North, then obviously others are getting NCTs on their cars.

I have tried e-mailing and calling the NCT people but they have been unable to provide me with an answer on this.

Does anyone know?

I know of a car that passed the NCT with bucket seats, roll cage, harnesses and modified engine (500+ bhp), although it was a drift car.

The nct is a check of safety elements, road worthiness and emissions.

IIRC rally cars often drive on the main roads in between stages, going from the finish point to the start of the next stage, so they must have a nct to be legal...

Book the car in for the test is my advice and see how it gets on.

enviro wrote: »
    I know of a car that passed the NCT with bucket seats, roll cage, harnesses and modified engine (500+ bhp), although it was a drift car.

The nct is a check of safety elements, road worthiness and emissions.

IIRC rally cars often drive on the main roads in between stages, going from the finish point to the start of the next stage, so they must have a nct to be legal...

Book the car in for the test is my advice and see how it gets on.

Interesting to hear that. Thanks!

I guess I'll have to just go ahead and book a test so and see. I'm a long way from NCT centre so would have liked to be sure they'd test it before going there but as they're unable to answer my questions, I'll have to just turn up and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

They have to give reasons for failing you so you can retest. Can't fail you for mods unless they're unsafe, so there's a good chance you'd pass.

rubensni wrote: »
    They have to give reasons for failing you so you can retest. Can't fail you for mods unless they're unsafe, so there's a good chance you'd pass.

But what about noise levels, brakes that need to be heated up, etc?

But what about noise levels, brakes that need to be heated up, etc?

IMO emissions and noise will be an issue.

• Advertisement

IMO emissions and noise will be an issue.

That's what I would've thought.

Also have a hydraulic handbrake..

That's what I would've thought.

Also have a hydraulic handbrake..

Should do a good job of holding the car on a hill so :D

Seriously though, that would only enhance the handbrake, they cant fail you based on that!

Lots of what ifs relating to motorsport vehicles and the NCT, you will only know for sure once you get the test sheet after the examination. Good luck with it

Should do a good job of holding the car on a hill so :D

Seriously though, that would only enhance the handbrake, they cant fail you based on that!

It's like having no handbrake.. doesn't lock on, have to tie it with a bungee cord to keep it pressed on.

I'm sure they'll love that.. :D

It's like having no handbrake.. doesn't lock on, have to tie it with a bungee cord to keep it pressed on.

I'm sure they'll love that.. :D

Oh right, ha, that's another one to add to the list so!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Surely a NI address is required for that. Southern folk with NI reg cars are a revenue target.

its a rally car not a daily driver

Oh right, ha, that's another one to add to the list so!

Following a phone call, I e-mailed them a full list of all of the issues I see with the car passing an NCT. That was a week ago. I never received a response from them.

I haven't checked Motorsport Ireland handbook, will get onto it.

I'd prefer to have kept it on the plates it's on, but I guess that may not be an option given no-one at the NCT centre seems to know anything about it.

I haven't seen anything about it on rally.ie

probably have to pm rather than openly discuss it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hey ROC, I'm not too sure what part of the country you are in but you should give EARS Motorsport in Mallow Co. Cork a ring. They supply parts and accessories to the motorsport community and do pre NCT/DOE checks for cars in general. I'm sure they may be able to help you with the information you are looking for or if not point you in the right direction. I haven't dealt with them directly but they are meant to be nice to deal with.

http://www.ears.ie/index.php

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm... Don't all race cars have loud exaust, no cats, no horn, brake pads that need to be heated up etc?

I thinks it's one of those laws which is just there, but no one knows what to do. Not owners and nor even nct workers...

Maybe it's special nct?

Track cars can have no nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Plane

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know Rally cars do an NCT. But the NCT they do is not the same a that of a standard road car. I'm not up to speed on the differences but one off the top of my head is a car with a bolt in cage passes the NCT where as a welded in cage is an NCT fail.
    Rally cars obviously mostly have welded in.

• Advertisement

Plane wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know Rally cars do an NCT. But the NCT they do is not the same a that of a standard road car. I'm not up to speed on the differences but one off the top of my head is a car with a bolt in cage passes the NCT where as a welded in cage is an NCT fail.
    Rally cars obviously mostly have welded in.

Would be curious if anyone has any more info on this topic of a different NCT to road cars.

There are lots of Irish rally cars out there partaking in N.I. rallies so somehow these guys are putting them through NCTs, so hoping someone who's done it will see this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Track cars that are brought to the track on trailers dont have NCT/Tax/Insurance because they are being used on private property. Race cars will be far more safe that your average car due to the regs required to race. But they will normally be a lot louder that an average car (that said there is still noise level limits imposed on race cars).

I know about safety on proper race cars. If I am not mistaken: such things like safety belts have expire dates. Special regulations to fuel systems. Outside valve to close fuel tank etc.

The only thing I could see is a special nct.

Like mentioned above, I really hope someone comes and explains it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Does anyone know?

Which Rally is you have entered in?

Rallys dont have to have an nct, before each event the have to go through Scrutiny, in which the expiry dates of seat belts, seats and fire extinguishers(hand held and plumbed in) are checked. They also check the the battery cut off switch is working, that the extinguishers nozzle is correctly loacted in the engine bay along with the general condition of the rollcage. The dirver and co-drivers race suits and helmets and hans devices are in good condition free from damage.

This applys to closed stage rallying as far as im aware, im not sure is it the the same fo night navs etc.

Rallys dont have to have an nct, before each event the have to go through Scrutiny, in which the expiry dates of seat belts, seats and fire extinguishers(hand held and plumbed in) are checked. They also check the the battery cut off switch is working, that the extinguishers nozzle is correctly loacted in the engine bay along with the general condition of the rollcage. The dirver and co-drivers race suits and helmets and hans devices are in good condition free from damage.

This applys to closed stage rallying as far as im aware, im not sure is it the the same fo night navs etc.

I entered for a stages rally in N.I.

I know about scrutiny and other standard rally requirements. This is separate to the standard scrutiny, I have been contacted by the rally organisation and told that an NCT will be required for my car to enter the rally.

The NCT is not necessary for rallies in the Republic but seems to be a requirement for (some?) N.I. rallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

I entered for a stages rally in N.I.

I know about scrutiny and other standard rally requirements. This is separate to the standard scrutiny, I have been contacted by the rally organisation and told that an NCT will be required for my car to enter the rally.

The NCT is not necessary for rallies in the Republic but seems to be a requirement for (some?) N.I. rallies.

Beats me so! Tell them you cant get a test before the event, and that you'll have to pull the enrty if they wont let you start without it, with entries so low these days they'd problay let you start.

Beats me so! Tell them you cant get a test before the event, and that you'll have to pull the enrty if they wont let you start without it, with entries so low these days they'd problay let you start.

I have already had to pull the entry having paid my entry fee, I was given no choice in the matter due to not having an NCT.

I will receive full refund of entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Surely there's a rally forum that will have more info on this, or maybe some of the lads on Octane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

It's been talked about over on rallyforums.com quiet a bit with no real solution. In the north you must have mot and tax to rally up there and they expect the same for southern reg cars. Was caught out a few years back when I went up to do a northern rally but we were able to get around it by swapping the plates off the recce car (same make/model as rallycar) highly illegal but I wasn't willing to loose the entry fee. I tried nct the car when I got back and it failed on a few items.

List
    Seatbelts. Web though they were 100s times betters than inertia belts the nct said no.

Brakes. Like all rallycars mine needed to be heated up and because it had no servo assist the peddle was pure s hit e and so were the brakes.

Handbrake. Same as stated before it didn't stay locked on and that is apparently another failure.

Suspension. Machine said it was too hard.

Rollcage. Can't remember exactly why that failed but it did.

Solution : only do Irish rallies or what I did was bought a uk reg car and got it registered to me at a mates address, bring the car up north once a year for mot and tax. They're better setup for testing rallycars up there plus 50 quid in the right direction could make any fault go away ;) ( I don't condone bribery and all my rallycars were always in 110% excellent condition, but if you failed on something not so major it's a long drive home and back up again for the sake if five mins retest)

It's been talked about over on rallyforums.com quiet a bit with no real solution. In the north you must have mot and tax to rally up there and they expect the same for southern reg cars. Was caught out a few years back when I went up to do a northern rally but we were able to get around it by swapping the plates off the recce car (same make/model as rallycar) highly illegal but I wasn't willing to loose the entry fee. I tried nct the car when I got back and it failed on a few items.

List
    Seatbelts. Web though they were 100s times betters than inertia belts the nct said no.

Brakes. Like all rallycars mine needed to be heated up and because it had no servo assist the peddle was pure s hit e and so were the brakes.

Handbrake. Same as stated before it didn't stay locked on and that is apparently another failure.

Suspension. Machine said it was too hard.

Rollcage. Can't remember exactly why that failed but it did.

Solution : only do Irish rallies or what I did was bought a uk reg car and got it registered to me at a mates address, bring the car up north once a year for mot and tax. They're better setup for testing rallycars up there plus 50 quid in the right direction could make any fault go away ;) ( I don't condone bribery and all my rallycars were always in 110% excellent condition, but if you failed on something not so major it's a long drive home and back up again for the sake if five mins retest)

Thanks very much for the informative advice, Darragh. Interesting to hear what you failed on.

That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Seems it's a lot easier to be illegal than to try and be above board. I'll just refrain from entering any more rallies in the north, and though I'm happy to NCT and tax the car, I won't be bothering to try any further as it just doesn't seem to be possible in ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Scrutineering in this country is a fiddle, its all buddy-buddy, I know you so thats a pass sort of situation.

I've DOE tested several 205/306/civic etc rally cars which were registered commercial due to having no back seat's, never had any issue with suspension being too hard and whoever mapped the car should be able to get it through the emissions test no bother if they're any good.

Advertisement