Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport?

Options
  • 20-04-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Dont know where post this but could someone please help, meant to be flying to england on friday but to cut a long story short it looks like i might not be able to get a passport, is there anyway ryanair might be leniant and accept a college student i.d. card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dont know where post this but could someone please help, meant to be flying to england on friday but to cut a long story short it looks like i might not be able to get a passport, is there anyway ryanair might be leniant and accept a college student i.d. card?
    No.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No

check their website.

Come on, I know it's ryanair but, no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Get the ferry.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

cocoshovel wrote: »
    When flying to Britain you don't need a passport. Alternative forms of I'd will do but as to what they accept, I'm not sure. But you do need I.d.
    A drivers license would do I imagine.

No. Wrong. For Immigration you only need photo id but to get on Ryanairs plane you need a passport.

Edit: Its wrong of Ryanair to require that but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When flying to Britain you don't need a passport. Alternative forms of I'd will do but as to what they accept, I'm not sure. But you do need I.d.

Unless your flying with Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not on Ryanair it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ryanair only accept passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Looks like your only option left is to build a raft...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah sorry about that. Just checked. I'm wrong.

Going to bed, can't be arsed looking up google for other people now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭getonmyhorse

So if i went to the passport office thurday morning would i get a passport that day do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So if i went to the passport office thurday morning would i get a passport that day do ye think?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

Might wanna get on your own horse. :pac:

Q. Do I need a passport to fly to Great Britain?

A. There is no legal requirement for Irish citizens to have a passport for travel from Ireland to Britain. The Common Travel Area is a passport-free zone between the two islands. The Department of Foreign Affairs has been in touch with the airlines serving this market and all but one, Ryanair, will accept a driver’s license, as evidence of identity for travel to Britain. Ryanair have informed the Department that this is their policy for travel on all of their routes across Europe. Other carriers will accept documents such as driver's licence with photo; international student card; national ID card/Government issued photo ID cards; health insurance cards with photo; social security cards with photo; bus pass with photo; and work ID with photo.

off the passport office website

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ryanair Leniant :rolleyes:

LOL has someone being living under a rock :p

Even if you are an Irish Minister on an internal irish flight (a country in which you don't need to carry ID) you need passport / Ireland doesn't do National Identity cards / Drivers license ain't valid for international travel.

Ryanair LOVE publicity, and also oversell seats so they don't care about loosiing your money as they have already factored it in.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/minister-for-tourism-refused-admission-to-ryanair-flight-247865.html
    Minister for Tourism John O'Donoghue was reportedly refused permission to board a Ryanair flight at Cork Airport yesterday.

Reports this morning said the minister was due to fly to Dublin yesterday morning to record an interview with a television show, but had failed to bring any picture identification with him..

As a result, he was refused admission to the Ryanair flight under the airline's policy of not carrying any passengers who cannot produce a passport, driving licence or national identity card.

This morning's reports said officials at Cork Airport had offered to mediate between the minister and the airline, but Ryanair insisted that it would not be making any exceptions to its policy.

If going to the UK check what travel documents you need for the Belfast ferry. ( you need documents for the ROI ones )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Q. Do I need a passport to fly to Great Britain?

A. There is no legal requirement for Irish citizens to have a passport for travel from Ireland to Britain. The Common Travel Area is a passport-free zone between the two islands. The Department of Foreign Affairs has been in touch with the airlines serving this market and all but one, Ryanair, will accept a driver’s license, as evidence of identity for travel to Britain. Ryanair have informed the Department that this is their policy for travel on all of their routes across Europe. Other carriers will accept documents such as driver's licence with photo; international student card; national ID card/Government issued photo ID cards; health insurance cards with photo; social security cards with photo; bus pass with photo; and work ID with photo.

off the passport office website

How did you find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

You won't get a passport in time.

Book with a different airline or get the ferry.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83929#22

more than half way down that page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

No.. Ryanair are dícks!

I know of a couple of people who got on flights to England with Ryanair without their passports though... but that was in Knock... and one of the gardai there knew them!
    Gotta love Knock airport :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=83929#22

more than half way down that page

That is the legal requirement when you show up at Immigration in Irl or UK.

However to get there you have to fly, drive or ferry.

Aer Lingus accept photo ID on UK <> Irl flights (thought I met a bollocks of a Garda who got odd over my photo id), Ryanair only accept passports on their flights. This saves them trying to figure out localised ID cards etc etc.

So if flying on Ryanair - present them with your passport to board and then just show a photo-id to the immigration folk (if they're around).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Of course you can get on a ryanair flight without a passport, just slip the girl a fifty when checking in.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Of course you can get on a ryanair flight without a passport, just slip the girl a fifty when checking in.

Id nearly chance it at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Id nearly chance it at this stage!
    50e would get you from Dublin Port to London with Rail/Sail on Irish Ferries

If going to the UK check what travel documents you need for the Belfast ferry. ( you need documents for the ROI ones )

I've used the ferry a number of times going from rosslare to pembroke with the car and have been asked for nothing other than the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

i had misplaced my passport like that before and still flew ryanair ,dublin to manchester using a full irish driving license, no problem at all. this was around 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-traveldocumentation
    TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION

It is each passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that he or she has valid travel documentation which meets the requirements of Ryanair, immigration and other authorities at every destination. Please also note that

A valid travel document is required by all passengers travelling on Ryanair flights (including infants)
    A passport for travel outside the EEA (European Economic Area) must be valid for period of intended stay
    If a visa is applicable any children/infants must be travelling with the adult named on a visa vignette
    In order to ensure compliance, passengers should carry a valid passport (and visa if applicable) or EU/EEA government issued national identification card on all journeys. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of breach of these requirements shall be paid by or charged to you.

Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, residence cards, family books, seaman books, a police report (issued in the event of travel document loss/theft), military ID cards etc. Expired or damaged forms of photo-id will not be accepted on any flight.

Details of all passengers’ travel documents (including those of children and infants) must be entered during the online check-in process. All passengers must present their valid travel document along with their online boarding pass at airport security and at the boarding gate for all flights.

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

A valid passport – (see below - */and ** below)
    A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries currentlyissue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland)
    A valid German Government issued ‘Kinderausweis’ travel document
    A valid Italian ‘Certificato Di Nascita’ which has been endorsed as ‘VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO’ for travel on international flights, no endorsement is required when travelling on Italian domestic flights.. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport - see ** below.
    A valid Italian AT/BT card (for Italian domestic flights only).
    A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    A valid Convention Travel Document – (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Go to the passport office tomorrow and bring proof of your travel with you. Tell them your going to a funeral. They should be able to issue you with an 'emergency' passport but it'll probably take a few hours. Make sure you also bring birth cert, picture signed by Guard, proof of address etc........

My Mum had to do this a few years ago when she had to go to a funeral in the UK and had no passport.

Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

Have you tried the Israeli Embassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

You can get an emergency passport if you go to the passport office (i had to a few years back). Just be prepared to wait for a long time.

Oh, and it will cost extra. Around €50 if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bogger77 wrote: »
    50e would get you from Dublin Port to London with Rail/Sail on Irish Ferries
    http://seat61.com/Ireland.htm

€40 will get you ferry + train ticket to any UK mainline station

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement