Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats first sign of mastitis? Clot/buttery milk?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I took a shot of milk today from a suckler today and in one teat it was kinda white stringy at times, kinda like clots but no bad smell and otherwise normal... just wondered is it just stale milk that clots a bit or is it the onset or mild Mastitis?!

She 6 weeks calved big char bull but she a FR X HR and she kinda got too much for him at grass and dehorned him also so that prob threw his appetite back a bit also.

Milked her all out today and held her back on a barer patch until he gets a handle on her just wondered about the lumpy milk?!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Possibly the start alright. A mastitis tube might not go astray until he has her under control. Getting it early definately helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

5live wrote: »
    Possibly the start alright. A mastitis tube might not go astray until he has her under control. Getting it early definately helps

Thanks 5live,

You reckon Milk that tit out again and put a yellow tube in it? If he sucks it out it wouldn't do much to him anyway would it? And how long should i leave tube in her if he doesnt suck it out? Sorry all the questions, its just been years since had any hassle/mastitis.. think a 2nd calf would be the answer for this lady:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A 6 week old Charolais calf on form should do away with some milk. Tighten her up on the grass for a while, keep an eye on the quarter, maybe strig it out for a couple of days. You'd be hoping that calf would get on top of it fairly quickly.
    Was he managing to handle the milk up to recently?

Bizzum wrote: »
    A 6 week old Charolais calf on form should do away with some milk. Tighten her up on the grass for a while, keep an eye on the quarter, maybe strig it out for a couple of days. You'd be hoping that calf would get on top of it fairly quickly.
    Was he managing to handle the milk up to recently?

he was managing her on winterage/last of silage but let them onto a good cover of grass and she got away from him... have pulled her back behind the others now and he should get her under control again, would hate to lose a spin as she a nice young cow but think i might try a 2nd calf for the crack next year ...4th lactation she will only have more milk!!

Brought her in there again this evening and that teat was sound .. clear as a bell. I dont have a milking pin but use old (sterilised) mastitis tube inserted to let milk run out of her and it didnt clog a single time tonight. That tit is just shorter than other three so when milk was plenty he wasnt bothering it but he catching her up now so lomg as i can keep her held back on grass!!

Is there any newer or better product for moisturising/ cuts/cracked tits than cheno unction?! Had very old tin and it gone!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    Brought her in there again this evening and that teat was sound .. clear as a bell. I dont have a milking pin but use old (sterilised) mastitis tube inserted to let milk run out of her and it didnt clog a single time tonight. That tit is just shorter than other three so when milk was plenty he wasnt bothering it but he catching her up now so lomg as i can keep her held back on grass!!

Is there any newer or better product for moisturising/ cuts/cracked tits than cheno unction?! Had very old tin and it gone!!

We still use Cheno Unction. Got a new tin of it last year. Its the sort of stuff that will last around the house for years but its always useful to have the tin stuck on a block or a shelf near the crush.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

Bodacious wrote: »

Hi, will a teat drain out using a tube with plunger removed as stated above? if so, iv been killing myself drawing teats by hand for years!

reilig wrote: »
    We still use Cheno Unction. Got a new tin of it last year. Its the sort of stuff that will last around the house for years but its always useful to have the tin stuck on a block or a shelf near the crush.

Cheers Reilig,

Its mighty stuff alright but our tin must have been 12 years old so just wondered what else was out there. My old man always giving out that it'll sicken the calf/its out of date/ unpalatable and will put it off sucking altogether but i completely disagree and find it makes a great job of cracked /sore tits:)

reps4 wrote: »
    Hi, will a teat drain out using a tube with plunger removed as stated above? if so, iv been killing myself drawing teats by hand for years!

Hi reps 4,

It works for me anyway might take a couple of squirts off of her before inserting tube and away you go... i've a video on an old phone of a cow up the chute with all 4 tits going flat out with them:D:D

I wash them with salvon and boiling water in case id ever insert any bacteria into them and i leave them soaking in it .. ie if one falls out and hits the floor dont put it back in tit straight away instead take a clean one out of container/disinfectant:)

Advertisement