Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mixing.

Options
  • 19-04-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hows things lads am currently recording with my new band using the shed just wondering would anyone be up for mixing these and how much do you charge for a mixing session.

cheers
    evan

http://soundcloud.com/evan-b54/breaking-up-with-ghosts-you bands first new song off our upcoming ep "dancing with ghosts" please do check it out :)

Thats a rough version of what you'll be mixing

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

Maybe throw the multi-track up somewhere where people can hear what you have. Difficult to hear how much can be done without knowing what's there to work with....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Don't get what ya mean... in the mix there;s kick snare hats overhead left and right rack tom floor tom bass mic bass bi guitar mic guitar di lead guitar mic lead guitar mic lead guitair di vocals and backing vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i think he means so we can hear the quality of the recordings and how much editing would be needed. most wouldnt give you a price on mixing them without hearing them as good only knows what problems could be encountered.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

As DT says, I mean upload the individual tracks so we can hear what's there in the tracks, without them being masked in a rough mix. Should be straightforward using dropbox.com to upload everything.

Ah i getcha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

What DAW are you using? If you can consolidate the audio and send em on over, i'll do a mix tomorrow for freesies. Got a few hours on my hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Why do you want it mixed Off ?

On a quick listen there the vocals in particular are very weak - is that intentional ?

Na i just haven't touched it fixed some levels on drums but besides that paul done nothing on it. Going to go back to redo the vocals today once were finished all three tracks we gonna send it all off for mixing. So i'll be in touch around the start a may.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

offthewalls, send on over whatever you have. i wouldn't mind having a bash at it after lunch! pm me if your interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Just remember, unless the source recordings are recorded properly and to a high enough standard, don't expect a miracle from any mix engineer.

You can't polish a turd, and if the source materials are poor, then there is little room you are allowing for your mix engineer to make it sound good. Anyways, hope it goes well for ya! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

drumdrum wrote: »

You can't polish a turd,

You can !

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    You can !

Really??!! Wouldnt it be all sticky and smelly still? Curious..... :p

Ok picture this then.
    A client gives you some recordings and asks you to do a mix on them. They tell you that they want it to sound a bit like a Muse song, and they give you "Plug in Baby" as a reference song.

Now the guitar tracks have too much distortion, and were recorded in a room that gives too much natural reverb. The track sounds fairly muddy on its own.

The bass was DIed but they player had the bass too trebley from the instrument and its not sitting right. There is not enough bottom end to his guitar.

The drums have loads of phase issues particularly in the overheads. The snare has an annoying ring from it (ala St Anger snare!) and the kick drum is missing power.

The singer had a cold the day of recording and sounds stuffed, and his top noted are all over the shop both timbrally and pitch wise.

Generally, the band are **** also.

How would you go about making them sound good?
    Fair enough you can do a surprising amount these days, but in the end, for all you efforts, IMHO the best you can make a bad recording sound is "meh"....

BTW, I dont mean this post as a "lets catch this guy out!" sort of way, its just that since you have more experience than me in this field, I'm curious as to what you would do in such a situation. Who knows...we all may learn something from you in the process! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    You can !

Yes you can polish a turd!........and it'll still be a turd.:pac:

are you guys calling my song a turd?

are you guys calling my song a turd?

Ha! No man, not at all. Just using the expression "you cannot polish a turd" to emphasis the point that while you can do with mixing these days, if the source recordings aren't at a decent quality, there is little the mix engineer can do.

Thats all! :)

Advertisement