Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crop margins

Options
  • 19-04-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Chaps,
    I did ask a similar question to this before but what is the margins on cereal production, detailing seed, fert, fungicide inputs etc..

Just thining in terms of buying a small residential farm 50 acres.. And if planting the land out and selling most of the straw etc what would one expect to get back from it?? How would it contribute to the mortgage??

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

Sadly, without a single farm payment, you would probably make a better contribution to the mortgage by renting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

With only 50acres it'd be too little to give a decent return. Don't buy as you'll never see any money out of it, longterm rent agreements would suit you as you'll get land for as much as 50€ cheaper than year to year. Atm at home we've reckoned, prices remaining strong and fuel hopefully not dragging everything up another 20€ per acre should come out with about 45-50€. We're nt selling straw this year, we'll as little as we can, instead giving straw for free in return for all the dung as some land is starting to become tired and needs OM.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

Ok chap still thinking about this one!

Wrapped silage of 50 acres??
    10 bales per acre = 500

selling at 22euro = 11,000

Now here is where i fall down on the cost of fertilizer etc..

I would have the capacity to cut and bale it myself but would need a contractor to wrap it!

What would it cost in fert, desiel and getting them wrapped.

Advertisement