Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub/Axle Lights (magnet powered - no batteries)

Options
  • 19-04-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I've seen a few bikes with these lights recently.
    Anyone know where else to get them?

They are hub / axle lights that are charged by a passing magnet - so no batteries!

Compact_BAGLYGTE72.jpg

ReelLight.com

Bikerumour.com article
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

According to the website Raleigh are the distributors here and it looks like every bike shop in Dublin can order it for you.

http://www.raleigh.ie/_dealers/dealers.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I've two sets of these- the basic one, and one that stays flashing for a while after your wheels stop rotating. (SL1000 and SL1200, maybe?)

I think they're good lights, but I'm not sure I'd use them as my primary lighting system- their positioning on the side of the axle, and low down, means they might not be as visible to motorists as regular handlebar/seatpost mounted lights.

(Don't tell my housemate! I just fitted a spare set to her bike.)

If you want to see them in the flesh, I know Cycleways on Parnell St stocks them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 vanjaqwq

I've got both as well. The ones with the capacitors are the way forward. You'll get about 2 minutes out of them flashing when your stopped at lights or the like. MacDonalds on Wexford St were fitting them and all for about 40 lids last year. They are great to have on the aul push bike when cycling around the city and not having to worry about lights being nicked and battery's dieing. Wouldn't be using them on their own for a long commute but yeah defo handy to have on the bike justin casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I agree that they're a bit too close to the ground to be a valid primary lighting system. Good back-up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, third that. They're enough for light use (ie. I don't usually cycle at night stuff), and a nice addition to a stationary light, because they flash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement