Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Insurance for traveling

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but just wondering if anyone knows of an insurance company that will cover my camera and equip worth €900! I'm living in korea at the mo so I need an online insurance company that will insure me without being in Ireland(which other posts have talked about) I've looked everywhere. I was looking for full travel insurance: medical,baggage, docs etc but I haven't found one that will cover any more than €500 per individual item!

I need help, I'm leaving in a month and want to get this covered asap. Also not looking to spend more than €200 for the insurance. I'm going to Southeast Asia for 3 months....:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Having just received my camera, I'd be interested in an answer to this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Have either of you got house insurance? You could ask your insurer about that.. It's not that expensive - I'm paying about 120 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Have either of you got house insurance? You could ask your insurer about that.. It's not that expensive - I'm paying about 120 a year.

But would that cover me if I travel abroad with it/if my camera is robbed from some place other than my home?

I'm making a return trip to the Camino de Santiago this June so I need to make sure it's covered while there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

If you have home insurance, you can ask for 'all risks cover' for specified items. That will cover travel for x days per year ( check small print..) I've done it for camera gear, jewelry, etc. no hassle.

If you dont have home insurance and you are living in Korea...I have no idea. Is there a boards.ko?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 C.L.B

I've no house insurance, i'm looking for an independent online insurance company!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

C.L.B wrote: »
    I've no house insurance, i'm looking for an independent online insurance company!

CLB there are no companies that just offer cover for traveling for your equipment. The only way you may get cover is under a house or contents insurance policy but a few things to be aware of;
    1. The maximum number of days they allow you out of the country traveling. (as FoxT says)
    2. The excess on your policy (The first portion you have to pay in respect of a claim)
    3. Cover has to be taken out and in place before you leave as in the event of a claim the will look for proof of travel and dates. Given that you are currently in Korea you would find it very hard for an insurer to give you cover now.

Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Dionysus wrote: »
    But would that cover me if I travel abroad with it/if my camera is robbed from some place other than my home?

I'm making a return trip to the Camino de Santiago this June so I need to make sure it's covered while there.

Dionysus, most companies will give you all risks cover worldwide. check the exclusions and excess and make sure you have the items specified and not just covered under 'unspecified all risks'

Derek.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

FoxT wrote: »
    If you have home insurance, you can ask for 'all risks cover' for specified items. That will cover travel for x days per year ( check small print..) I've done it for camera gear, jewelry, etc. no hassle.

Just saw this - http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/surviving-the-recession/warning-on-allrisk-insurance-2624455.html

Worth taking note of, even for "all risks".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

camerainsurance.ie

Just got a quote of 225 quid for 1 years insurance on my camera stuff and includes 30 days abroad. This for an amateur as they ask if you make any income from photography

As im renting I've no house insurance and just recently got a 5d2 and a few lenses so at the moment without insurance its a bit nerve racking going out the wilds with them...

Thats the only Irish place Ive found. Previously i used a crowd in the uk that also cover Ireland...

I used these before but their excess was higher "Aaduki Multimedia Insurance"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 C.L.B

Thanks a mil guys, your help is much appreciated! I'll look into my different options! fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and I won't need to claim for anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

C.L.B wrote: »
    I'm living in korea at the mo so I need an online insurance company
    I'm going to Southeast Asia for 3 months

i'm currently in texas as part of a 12 month world trip. i spent ages researching every company possible for my camera equipment. nobody will cover you for more than 3 months outside of your country of residence, at least if your country is Ireland or the UK.

the best i could get was 12 months cover at a max of €500 per item.

the only real option is to set yourself up as a company and possibly do it that way with full company insurance, the same as production companies who film for months abroad on jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I used this company in the past for covering my gear when abroad after seeing them recommended on boards.

They seem to be under new managment since I last used them but no harm in checking

Heritage Insurance Group.
    Ashpine House
    5 Slaney Court
    Dublin Industrial Estate
    Glasnevin
    Dublin 11

Phone 01 899 7108
    Fax 01 882 7842
    Mobile 086 0400 568
    Web www.hig.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pawrick wrote: »

Heritage Insurance Group.

Last time I got a quote from them, they were nearly twice the price of camerainsurance.ie

Balfey1972 is a director of camerainsurance.ie so fully knows what he is talking about when it comes to insurance.

Advertisement