Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon to Nikon lens adapter

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I have a Nikon D200 but was thinking of saving and replacing it with a Canon 7D which I hear is excellent for movies as well as photos. Some video pros I have been talking to have been singing its praises.

Thing is, over the years I have amassed a decent collection of lenses, of which I have the following:

-- Nikon 18-200mm VR
    -- Tokina 11-16mm wide angle
    -- Nikon 35mm f1.8 prime

Has anyone else any experience making a switch like this and if so, what kind of lens adapter did you use, and what kind of results did you get?

Thanks.

ps: Please don't move this, I don't want it buried in an avalanche of other posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

When you use an adapter then you will not have autofocus on those lens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nikon and canon use different circuit systems to control their lenses, as a result neither can control the other, there are ways too 'attach' the lens, but not control them, also is your 35mm the dx version? if so, not too sure bout this but if the 7d is full frame you'll get resulting vignetting requiring cropping on all your images and increasing the focal length to closer to 50mm, just hold out for a d800 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The 7D is a 1.6 crop sensor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I found this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fox-orian/2626443224/

which may help.

Also, ZeroHamster may be able to offer some advice.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

That link actually brings up a good point, both your nikon lenses are G lenses, which means that there's no manual control of the aperture. This means both will be permanently stuck on f/22 or whatever the minimum aperture is.

The flickr description describes it as being a property of DX lenses, but it's actually the G designation on nikon lenses that dictate this. Most new full frame lenses are G lenses as well.

I doubt you can get an adapter that will allow you to control this. The Tokina might be ok, it looks as though it has an aperture ring (or at least the first link I found that looked similar had one).

So in short, if you want to go down the canon route best thing is to sell your nikon lenses and put the cash toward some canon glass, or alternatively wait for a nikon body that'll do what you want video-wise. Video isn't high on my list of prioritys in a camera so I have no idea if one actually exists already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Ended up ordering a Nikon D7000 in the end which should suit my needs well. I'll keep my D200 because that can still do certain things I need.

Not primarily into filming but would like to dabble in it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

please post how you get on, its a consumer branded, and the d200 would be semi pro, so i wouldnt mind seeing how it fairs, thats whats been putting me off all the dxxxx's

Advertisement