Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNA Name Change?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 1:25pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

WWE's biggest fans, TNA, saw their name change (to WWE), and are thinking of a make-over themselves....
    Dave Meltzer is reporting that there has been talk internally with Spike TV and TNA about a possible change to the companies name as well as a major re-branding in the product. The top two names being discussed are Impact Pro Wrestling and Pro Wrestling Impact. The idea is that the TNA name is holding them back and also that a name change would allow them to tout that they are pro wrestling which would be the exact opposite of what WWE is currently doing. There has been no word if any of this would mean a change in the actual on air product or not. We hope to have more information soon.

What do you make of it? Good thing or bad thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I read on another site that there already is an Impact Pro Wrestling, and PWI would have trademark issues with Pro Wrestling Illustraded.

Tbh though, their name is the least of their problems. It's like claiming the six-sided ring was holding them back; if you're telling good stories, the ring and name of the company should not limit you in any way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The TNA name is tacky and tawdry. Suits them perfectly so...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good idea. TNA - Total Nonstop Action is a daft name.

One step at a time and all that.

The tits and ass connotations were more my issues with the name. Total Nonstop Action was just a way of getting a cheap gag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if it aint broke, don't fix it.
    it's definitely not what's holdig them back.
    and it wouldnt be the same without the "T-N-A" chants (similar to the U-S-A chants used against non-American heels)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Name change would do no harm,but I think they need to look more deeply at some of their serious problems first,namely Vince Russo!

Knowing how big WWE marks TNA seem to be they'll probably change the name to TNE!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

World Wide Wrestling Yankee Kicking Impact

WWWYKI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

How about World Class Wrestling

or

World Championship pro Wrestling

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I read on another site that there already is an Impact Pro Wrestling, and PWI would have trademark issues with Pro Wrestling Illustraded.

That would be the ROH feeder/sister promotion Full Impact Pro or FIP I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

How about just IMPACT? It wouldn't really make sense because their main show is called iMPACT.

• Advertisement

Barrington wrote: »
    World Wide Wrestling Yankee Kicking Impact

WWWYKI!

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

They should call it "Wrestling, brother!"

I think it is a publicity stunt to get wrestling into their name. Since the WWE are running away from the word wrestling, TNA might have a good opportunity for some positive PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I see what you did there :rolleyes:

Damn, and I thought I hid it so well.

I agree though, I'd say with all the shots Hogan has been taking about WWE no longer being a wrestling company, he's probably pushing for TNA to have Wrestling in their name. Pretty pointless though as everyone who watches knows what the deal is, and anyone who doesn't will still always think of WWE as a wrestling company, no matter how much WWE tries to distance themselves from it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Riddle101 wrote: »
    How about World Class Wrestling

If they can avoid litigation from using the acronym WCW, this would be ideal!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    If they can avoid litigation from using the acronym WCW, this would be ideal!

Not a hope of that happening though. In a litigation free world, WWE would still be the WWF.

If TNA were going to take an unused wrestling acronym, the ideal would be WWF :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gimmick wrote: »
    That would be the ROH feeder/sister promotion Full Impact Pro or FIP I presume.

No, its some New Zealand promotion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_Pro_Wrestling

Ultimatly, you'd imaging it wouldn't be too big a hassle though. WWE got round the whole NXT problems with the crowd in (IIRC) England.

WWE probably own "WCW" when used in a wrestling sense, but they couldn't do anything about TNA renaming themselves to World Class Wrestling...they just couldn't refer to themselves as WCW lol.....

TNA getting "WWF" would be amazing. Even if it was "WWeF" they could pronounce it "WWF".....like "E-C-Double-U".......a lawsuit waiting to happen!

They might be alright if they didn't pretend to be the original WCW, if that makes any sense. Like when Georgia Championship Wrestling was bought out by Vince; Ole Anderson made a 'new company' called Championship Wrestling from Georgia, complete with Gordon Sole!

Maybe things were less litigious back then......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

am I the only one on here who quite likes the name TNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I think it's a joke if they rename tbh.

If they want to be known as a wrestling company as opposed to WWE's entertainment side then prove it in the ring. Total Nonstop Action is the name of the company and it's what they should provide e.g Keep putting on matches like Angle/Jarrett from Lockdown. Tbh, if they rename, it kinda proves that all TNA are doing is just trying to copy WWE in everything they do.

• Advertisement

I think with the IWC, TNA are sometimes damned if you do, damned if you don't (they'll give out for copying WWE, but also give out for being different to WWE....) I think doing the opposite of some of WWE's principles is a good thing (WWE hate "wrestling"; TNA being "wrestling"; WWE are PG, TNA are PG-14 etc). But honestly, all this is moot if their product still sucks donkey balls.

What's in a name, though? When people hear "TNA" they have a joke, much like Nintendo Wii. But if the product is good, then people won't mind it. Also, "TNA" is easy on the vocals to chant, which is a huge plus.

I like the 'wrestling' branding name, as it gains them brownie points with the IWC - whom a large percentage of their fans are in - and is a positive that the company knows what it is -- unlike WWE who are ashamed to be wrestling, an annoying, self-hating company!

I do like the acronym TNA, but I think it's actually detrimental - like Russo must uphold the creed of TNA -- Total.Nonstop.Action. He can't stop to hype things, enjoy feuds, heat them up, have a meaningful payoff, it's just bang bang bang nothing means anything, off to the next useless thing.

It's about as fruitful as Alan Partridge blurting out every and any ideas he can think of to the BBC Commissioner to try stay on the telly. But TNA isn't funny, they're just desperate, like Coogan's character.

It's just such a shame that TNA aren't actually wrestling. They're just awful storyline twists. It could be worse I guess, they could be awful comedy vignettes.... Nope. Car crash nonsensical twists are worse :mad:

This business of ours.... :D

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's just such a shame that TNA aren't actually wrestling. They're just awful storyline twists.

they're now the biggest wrestling company in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

If they wanted to stress wrestling all they'd have to do is go back to using their old 'We Are Wrestling' tagline. Or is that too simple and obvious? A name change would do absolutely nothing without a complete change in product - and even then a complete change in product would lead to there being no need for a name change.

Can they not just extend the name to TNA Wrestling?

I know it's already called that, but if they always use the word wrestling after TNA, in every sense, be it commentary, written print, on-screen graphics, etc. then it may begin to stick and people may stop shortening it to just TNA?

Or they could just brand the show name more. Make it "TNA Presents" and then name the show Impact Wrestling or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Who cares if TNA change their name, they'll still get the same rating.. Have the same amount of fans and still be sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

they're now the biggest wrestling company in the world

By what criteria?

Live gates? PPV buyrates? TV ratings? Not sure they are the best in the world at any of these, even allowing for the technicality of WWE being an "entertainment" company.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think they should reaffiliate themselves with the NWA, drop the guys at the top who already sank wcw , constantly scout the indies for new talent , get out on the road and do as many house shows a week as possible, also tape iMPACT at a different live venue across the country each week and invest in better production.... sets and lighting etc. This Expansion is whats needed if tna want to at least try and compete with wwe in its current format. However having said this, is the kind of money needed for a investment even in tna at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

keep it, just change what the TNA stands for Totally Nonsensical Approach is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

What is the point in a name change when apparently they want to go down this sort of route: ECW Network rip-off

Have they got any original ideas?

• Advertisement

The Name doesnt make the company , the company makes the name .

Advertisement