Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books like Shogun..

Options
  • 19-04-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

Reading Shogun at the moment, and Im really loving it. I picked it at random, as a classic book I had not read.

I would be interested in reading more "east meets west" type books? Any suggestions of good ones I should consider?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

Shantaram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Kalimah

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. Also Ghostwritten by the same author.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have read all of Clavells books,Shogun is top notch,I also liked Tai-pan and Noble House .

Here are a few similar books that I read.

Dov Silverman's John Mung series was quite good
    1. The Fall of the Shogun (1986)
    2. The Black Dragon (1988)
    3. The Shishi (1989)

Ninja by Eric Van Lustbader....great stuff IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A second here for noble house. Excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I bought Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, but haven't read it yet, might be of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I bought Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, but haven't read it yet, might be of interest.

Its considered the Japanese "Gone with the Wind".

I have about a third of it read,but got sidetracked and did'nt get to finish it.I have it on the shelf so hope to finish it as soon as I get a chance.
    I did get the DVD trilogy of his life featuring Toshiro Mifune,its well worth a watch.

Advertisement