Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skins compression recovery tights

Options
  • 19-04-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, with stage races coming up and hearing good things about these compression tights I'm going to give them a shot see what they are all raving about! For a long time Skins seemed to be THE brand for compression clothing, and this model in particular.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?products_id=39008

Now on the Skins website those ones are only really described as being for travelling and the newer RY400 seems to be promoted as the recovery tights.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54971

Anybody know if there is much of a difference or worth the extra 25 quid?

Thanks in advance, also replies before 2pm today would be fantastic if I want to order them off the great outdoors website for them to arrive on time for the next stage race! Any other recommendations appreciated too.

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have travel and recovery and find them very good, placebo or not I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Junior

I researched these a while back and these tights came highly recommended

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43349

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

From what I've read, the aid to recovery is somewhere between minimal and non-existent
    CyclingTips has a good summary
    Better off keep the €100 in your pocket and instead hop into a cold water bath immediately after exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Diarmuid wrote: »
    From what I've read, the aid to recovery is somewhere between minimal and non-existent
    CyclingTips has a good summary
    Better off keep the €100 in your pocket and instead hop into a cold water bath immediately after exercise.

I've read that cold water baths are useless. I've also read that they are useful.
    Same for recovery tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Raam wrote: »
    I've read that cold water baths are useless. I've also read that they are useful.
    Same for recovery tights.
    Not quite the same.

There are studies showing improvements in stage racing performance from cold water therapy. I couldn't find any study on compression clothing showing an improvement.

However even for the CWT, the gains are marginal. The difference is a cold water bath is free, compression tights are €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Not quite the same.

There are studies showing improvements in stage racing performance from cold water therapy. I couldn't find any study on compression clothing showing an improvement.

However even for the CWT, the gains are marginal. The difference is a cold water bath is free, compression tights are €100

I meant that I have read that recovery tights are good for you and also make no difference, not that they are the same as cold baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Back to this again after a few months, I'm going to pull the trigger on some after all.

Just one question, Junior recommended the 2XU compression tights above. 2XU make 3 compression tights, standard (55 euro), elite (70 euro)and recovery (which I can't seem to find for sale online).

The difference between the standard and the elite is that the elite includes the use of "70 denier fabric, with 15% more support and 25% more power than the 50 denier fabric, has been designed to support the calves and hamstring muscles - areas which are particularly prone to fatigue, injury and muscle soreness." However, I believe that these are actually designed for use during activity, would the difference with the recovery model be enough to look for them elsewhere, or do these models have multiple uses and could be used for recovery too?

It is either that or the Skins RY400 for 85 euro, not sure if they are worth the 20 increase from the previous generation Skins recovery tights!

Also, I am going to try out some foam rollers based on their recommendation. Does anyone have much experience using them? What is the story with the different colours, any ideal density or length? Was looking at them here, and some tips on Irish Cycling from a while back.

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated! Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What about wearing the tights in the ice bath?

Advertisement