Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using GPS on HTC Desire without data pack?

Options
  • 19-04-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i am going on a holiday abroad for few days. I would like to use the GPS on my phone. the google maps always looks for the data pack/wifi to give me a route.
    is it possible to download/save these to be used later?
    or is there any GPS app which will give me the maps just like our car navigation ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Have a look at MapDroyd. It has downloadable maps. The downside is you don't get the info about this location (petrol station, atm etc etc) that google maps has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

I use Co Pilot myself and it works a treat for me:)
    Paid app but...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I think Google Maps will cache the data so if you're on WiFi and plan your route it'll keep it in memory. However I wouldn't fancy relying on it.
    I bought CoPilot too. Worth 10 times the money when you're lost driving around some foreign city. The UK & Ireland maps cost me about £29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

You paid :eek: :)
    Fair play to you!
    But yes it works a treat and seems to be about as much as you need anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Google maps could cost you the price of an offline navigation app just to open while abroad with the cost of data roaming on some networks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

downloaded mapdroyd now. will test it.
    will also look at co.pilot
    thanks for suggestions

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm in the same situation - off to france and need some offline maps just to get rough idea of where I am and where I need to go etc. Downloaded mapdroyd and downloading loads of maps for it now.

Any others I should be trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

Igo myway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation - off to france and need some offline maps just to get rough idea of where I am and where I need to go etc. Downloaded mapdroyd and downloading loads of maps for it now.

Any others I should be trying?

Navigon used to do a free 30 day trial, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

If you like MapDroyd the same developers made NavDroyd for navigation. It's €5 and cover the whole world. CoPilot has a nicer interface, more options etc but NavDroyd is the basic navagation app for a fraction of the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

copilot for just the US is €4. Was over there for 2 weeks, great value, would have spent 10 times that on roaming!

Advertisement