Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements regarding leaving work

Options
  • 19-04-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've handed my notice to work, leaving at the end of the month. I'm just wondering what I'm entitled too.
    I'm a part timer, have worked between 18-33 hours in the past 18 months or so. I took two weeks holiday's last summer and got paid my holiday pay(around 500 euro).
    Haven't taken any sick days this year, and no holiday's either.
    I'm confused though, on the holiday entitlements on citizens information website, It suggests a part timers are entitled upto four weeks maximum holidays.
    Does this mean I should get 4 weeks holiday pay when I leave or what?
    I asked my supervisor today and got a vague enough answer, so before asking the Boss, I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm entitled too?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm not sure exactly how many days you're entitled to as a part-timer, but whatever holiday pay anyone is due upon leaving is pro-rated over the time worked to date in that year.

For a rough example - if I am due 20 days annual leave a year, and hand in my notice so I finish up at the end of June, then I would be due half my annual leave entitlement, minus whatever days I had already taken. I could only be due the full 20 days if I left at the very end of the year, and had not taken any days off at all.

Here is some info on your overall entitlement (link):
    There are 3 different ways of calculating your annual leave entitlement:

Based on the employee's working hours during what is called the leave year, which runs from April to March. An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year is entitled to the maximum of 4 weeks' annual leave unless the employment ceases during the leave year. Many employers use the calendar year (January-December) instead of the official leave year to calculate entitlement
    By allowing 1/3 of a working week for each calendar month in which the employee has worked at least 117 hours
    8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 weeks
    An employee may use whichever of these methods gives the greater entitlement.

An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

as you are probably paid by the hour the easiest thing to do is get out your payslips since start of the year, add up all the hours up to and including the day you leave, simply calculate 8% of the total and that is your holiday entitlement in hours. if we say that you worked roughly 25 1/2 hours per week for 26 weeks then that would give you 53 hours of holiday entitlement, that is two weeks holidays. maybe this is not clear, its hard to explain. of course if you've already taken holidays this year, you can deduct those hours from your entitlement. if you worked the whole of last year then you accrued 106 hours holidays, or 4 of your working weeks. if you did not get this entitlement, or if your employer is not going to reimburse you in you last pay packet, then you may have a complaint to the LRC under the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys.
    Mrs Byrne thats pretty much along the lines of how I assumed I'd be paid, thanks a million for spelling out in plain english too me!
    Should be a decent sum of cash when I leave waiting for me so...
    Thanks again!

Advertisement