Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey all,Is doing the Wicklow way in 3 Days just torture or doable ???? All advice app

Options
  • 18-04-2011 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey.
    Doing the way on the May Bank Hol and aiming for 3 days. Are we just fooling ourselves?

from Marlay to Roundwood will be with just day bags where we will pick up our kit from a point........

Day 1 Marlay to OldBridge
    Day 2 Oldbridge to Aughavannagh
    Day 3 Aughavannagh to Clonegal

All advice appreciated.
    Ger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,105 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Should be a piece of cake. Bring trainers for the tarmac sections.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Piece of cake? I don't think so by any stretch of the imagination. It is doable if you are fit but it will still be tough, most importantly on the feet. 132k is 82 miles, which equals at about 27 miles a day a lot of it on hilly terrain. And some of the stages will be less then 27 miles, some more then, I would guess.

Whatever happens you might consider packing a foot bath and blister plasters as a minimum.

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

dogmatix wrote: »
    Piece of cake? I don't think so by any stretch of the imagination. It is doable if you are fit but it will still be tough, most importantly on the feet. 132k is 82 miles, which equals at about 27 miles a day a lot of it on hilly terrain. And some of the stages will be less then 27 miles, some more then, I would guess.

Whatever happens you might consider packing a foot bath and blister plasters as a minimum.

Let us know how you get on.

It really would be fine, assuming you are staying in accommodation. Carrying camping gear would make this a much bigger challenge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have you done anything like this before, do you think your fitness levels would be up to the distance in that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gersrunning

Thanks for the replys. Fittness is as good as I will ever be and been going hard at it for the last Couple of years marathon wise etc....

Long term aiming for Half Iron 2012 & Iron man 2012-2013 ( Just learned to swim) & MDS in 2014 ish.... Family permitting :)

We plan on camping ( weather permitting which we will decide as soon as we can get a half true forecast).

Not too worried about distance TBH, but am bit concerned about feet :(

Plan on putting in 12-14 hour days going handy enough and taking regular stretches/nibbles/food etc....

Its the 3 days of those little Yellow men which could be mind numbing :)

Food wise any suggestions? Trying to light as possible, so the usuals like Pasta, noodles etc.

How long do people normally take to do it?

Thanks all

Ger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You'll be grand, so. As ESEL says, trainers for the road stretches, and if the weather's good, they'd do for the whole thing. Only a few spots get really boggy: near Djouce before the boardwalk, Mullacor after the boardwalk and Paddock Hill.

If you don't know the route, I'd suggest recce'ing where you plan to sleep. There aren't all that many good campsites along the route, unless you're bivviing, as there's lots of forests. Water can be a bit of an issue, too. Although there's lots of it, I wouldn't drink from any river downstream of a farm, so it can be awkward to find and worth checking out in advance. Also, if you're going North-South, you finish in Clonegal which is the middle of nowhere, so you need to organise transport.

Advertisement