Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studio SOS

Options
  • 18-04-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Heyo, I've got great advice from this forum in the past and wondering if you could help me out.

I'm currently in the process of redesigning my home studio/jamming space. The space has to cater for a three piece rock band, gtr, bass, drums, vocals as well as recording. Unfortunately this has to be done all in one room, which is 3.5 meters by 3.4meters approx and has about 2.5 meter high ceilings.

Currently I am using old carpet and blankets as sound absorbers but this is not a long term solution and I feel I'm not quite getting the best sound at present.

So I have been looking at some DIY basstraps tutorials and alot of them seem easy and cheap enough to make, I've also priced out some rockwool which is within my price range. But my question is what would be the best acoustics solution for my studio at a low cost? Corner basstraps? Wall panal basstraps? ceiling bass traps? Would that just take the low end out, or need I worry bout high end frequencies?

Cheers for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Can you pick a different room? You have two equal dimensions there, eek. Plus it's tiny for everything you want to do.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

there is a chap selling some decent panels on drumming ireland , you can double up into bass trapping ( and maybe add some softer rockwool behind)

better off with loads of absorption for a small room like that , ie panels , bass traps and foam or diffusors over the kit overhead area and a hard floor

http://www.drummingireland.com/viewthread.php?tid=9803

ive been there , and the carpet and blankets just kill the high end and upper mids , leaving the low mids and bass allover the shop

try playing a bass guitar or a basssynth in there from low e up each string on all 4 strings

you should hear notes get louder and some disappear as you do it - this is room mode interference , and only heavy bass trapping will fix it within reason.

you need to fill all the corners wall to ceiling with thick rock wool and a cover that lets air in but not fibres out
    and some wall panels at minimum.

Advertisement