Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse in competition cost

Options
  • 18-04-2011 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

I wanted to throw a question out there to all involved in the equestrian world. I have been riding decent horses for a friend for the past few years. I competed in sjai at a younger age and have a burning ambition to get back to competing. I'm looking at the cost of livery in the Dublin area (north) and its anything from 380 to 550 before putting a shoe or going to an event. I would consider myself experienced with horses and although half livery would be the ideal situation I could only manage evenings due to work commitments plus most places don't do half livery. I could possibly get away with grass livery and hard feed in the summer months.

I realise alot of people who are lucky enough to own their own yard/land can do this on a smaller budget but what about the rest, is everyone paying these types of prices ? I'm not looking for top class facilities, a sand arena / level field would suffice. With eventing included it could work out at a small mortgage each month!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

hey, i pay 120e a week full livery for 2 horses, that covers mucking out, daily turnout, rug changes, use of the walker, xc and they have 2 indoors and an outdoor. Xc is 3 miles with everything you could imagine and 10 miles of trek. Lessons are only 10e so I cant complain at all!
    Its 80e for one horse and 120e for two, 160e for 3:D
    Couldnt find a better yard in the country. Its just outside Drogheda:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 flyingchange

Sounds excellent!. 80 euro is good for all the facilities although I would probably spend the extra 40 on fuel a week getting there and back! :( thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hockey Chick

I pay €50 a week for DIY/ Grass depending on the season ok so its not Dublin but im sure ive seen other people paying something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

to be honest if you want to keep a horse in Dublin you are talking around the 380 mark upwards! is it north or south dublin your looking for?
    im in south dublin, paying 380 a month for livery. i try to do my competing on a a budget but the basic figures i think would be something like this:
    sji registration for horse and rider - €200 for the year

competition grounds like boswell in wicklow, coilog in kildare, kill equestrian in kildare - i use approx €20 for diesel there and back so around that if you have your own transport, more if you have to pay someone to transport them for you.

sji rounds are €20 euro if you're registered, €25 if you're not. (temporary ticket)

lunch is always my downfall too, so i need to add on another €10 for that, but maybe thats just me :D
    generally though, if i want to go competing, i tend to put away a minimum of €50 for the day. also i think if you seriously want to do some competing, you really need to have your horse somewhere that has suitable facilities to keep them in the best shape they can - level field isnt going to do you as then you're at the mercy of the weather in terms of the ground and what you can actually do and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Does your farrier not call around every six weeks :confused::confused: How much does he charge . Have you allowed it to your ;)fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

theres a new yard opening in donabate, think its 40 euro for grass livery.. details are on this link http://www.donabateportrane.com/forum/thread/5178/1/Horse_livery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 flyingchange

Thanks everyone for the info. @ silverfox yes I think you are right about 380 upwards. I did see the place in Donabate (good location) on another two sites, 95 for full livery or 40 for grass, it says an arena on one site and building an arena on another? I think they will have tough competition as balcultry stables which I believe is a few miles away is also 95 but has an indoor, outdoor, cross country and hacking.

Its off the topic a bit but I think its a case of I have a few stables and some land so I will charge what the closest fully kitted out yard is charging! They are also looking for lessons but I can't understand why yards advertise for liveries with great facilities and then jam pack those facilities with evening and weekend lessons:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

im up in great little yard which is 90 per week and has a great fibre sand arena and also a cross country, good hacking, turnout and nice big airy stables. i had a look around balcultry, killosery and the others but just wanted a nice quiet yard. it's like having your own yard sometimes, which is great!but there's always people to hack out with etc.

95 seems to be the average for livery these days though really. It seems hard to get grass and part time anymore though

Advertisement