Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3Men1Bike

Options
  • 18-04-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd let you know about our triplet trip which is planned for June / July this year. Myself and two mates will be lapping Ireland on a three person bike in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

Comments, advice, followers and feedback very welcome. Everything is coming together nicely. Gear and sponsorship are our main focus at this stage.

We expect it'll take us 22 days with a few days off here and there for rest and coin collecting. If you would like to see more details on the trip please check out the links below. We'll be keeping a daily short blog and I'll be uploading info from my Garmin although I don't expect we'll be breaking any records...... although maybe on the down hill.

http://3men1bike.com/
    http://facebook.com/3men1bike/
    http://twitter.com/#!/3men1bike/"]

Thanks

Seanie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Interesting title.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Good luck with your trip! Hopefully you'll get some decent weather for it.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Interesting title.

HaHa, you're watching too many dodgy flicks Dirk!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A worthy endeavour, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Nice one lads, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

HaHa, you're watching too many dodgy flicks Dirk!:D

I did expect a 2girls1cup type video...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

mloc123 wrote: »
    I did expect a 2girls1cup type video...
    Disappointed then are we?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

How innocent were we when we came up with that name?

And I normally hang around the ART category.... I didn't expect thread to go the way it has! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sounds like good fun.

Reminds me of a story I heard about some English guys who went cycling through Africa on a trandem for charity. One day in Mozambique (I think it was) a military vehicle pulled alongside them and these stern-faced soldiers stared hard at them. There was an awkward silence, until suddenly the soldiers sang in unison: "Gooooodie ... goody goody yum yum"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Sounds like good fun.

Reminds me of a story I heard about some English guys who went cycling through Africa on a trandem for charity. One day in Mozambique (I think it was) a military vehicle pulled alongside them and these stern-faced soldiers stared hard at them. There was an awkward silence, until suddenly the soldiers sang in unison: "Gooooodie ... goody goody yum yum"

I would like to inform younger members of the forum that this post is actually very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Who made the bike? I can't make out from the pic.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

trandem2_larger.jpg.w560h188.jpg

Who made the bike? I can't make out from the pic.

That picture is more for the website than fact. The real bike is a Thorn.
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/trident.html

They actually compare riding the bike to sailing a yacht or flying a handglider.

We are hiring it from a guy in Blackpool. Drop me a message if you would like his details.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It says on your website that you leave on Sunday, so what's the bike like to cycle?

Any pics or anything?

I did see a a couple on a tandem on Sunday and thought how strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

Best of luck lads

Thanks for that folks.

We are off this Sunday. It's been a mad few weeks but it's all coming together now. We set off from 2Wheels in Sandymount at 10am. Hopefully we'll get a bit of a crowd.

The bike arrived in from Blackpool today. JMC VanTrans helped us out with getting over and will drop it back which was great. We had a session with it 2 weeks ago over there and it's just as well because it's quite tricky. The method is basically for the first person to lead the charge by pushing off and following through the pedals. Your natural instinct on seat 2 and 3 is to try balance through their handle bars but that sets the bike rocking so you have to keep your hands off the middle handle bars. So it's an iffey 2 seconds at the start but fine after that.

It's got 28 gears, standard brakes and a drag break for going down hills. All controls are on the front bars so the passengers have an easy time. Balancing is tricky and obviously the turning circle is quite big.

We had our first Dublin outting this evening along Sandymount and then we did Sandymount-Blackrock-Sandymount. Plenty of positive reaction, smiles and waving. We're pretty sure we caused a car accident in Sandymount. We were starting off at a rail crossing, no problems for us but on the a car travelling the other way was looking at us and rear ended somebody (slightly arrogant to thgink we caused it but I'm pretty sure we did).

Plenty of news and press coverage. We're on RTE Radio 1 at 3.45 tomorrow.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow with our gear sponsored by cheaphotels.ie
    If you link to our Facebook www.facebook.com/3men1bike you'll find a video our one of our first efforts and more pics.

Thought I'd give a quick update on how we're going and how the bike is going.

We're a little over a week in and the trip is going well. We've nailed the tricky starts and are much more confident of cycling it now. The turning circle seems to be bigger the slower we are.... a bit like power steering. No punctures or repairs needed so far, that's after approx. 700km. We've dropped the bike in for a couple of check ups but we haven't need anything more than some oil. We'll probably need to put some new blocks on the back wheel by the halfway point which is Galway this Friday.

Performance wise we're doing well. The 100km days aren't too hard. WE had a 110 ish one today and managed to average a little under 30kph over the last 42 which was great. We've hit 60kph a few times also. The bike is great on the downhill, freewheeling is the way to go.

If you're interested, we've started to blog each day:
    http://3men1bike.com/our-route/
    And I've been logging the Garmin stats daily also:
    http://3men1bike.com/our-blog/

Thought I'd give a quick update on how we're going and how the bike is going.

We're a little over a week in and the trip is going well. We've nailed the tricky starts and are much more confident of cycling it now. The turning circle seems to be bigger the slower we are.... a bit like power steering. No punctures or repairs needed so far, that's after approx. 700km. We've dropped the bike in for a couple of check ups but we haven't need anything more than some oil. We'll probably need to put some new blocks on the back wheel by the halfway point which is Galway this Friday.

Performance wise we're doing well. The 100km days aren't too hard. WE had a 110 ish one today and managed to average a little under 30kph over the last 42 which was great. We've hit 60kph a few times also. The bike is great on the downhill, freewheeling is the way to go.

If you're interested, we've started to blog each day:
    http://3men1bike.com/our-blog/
    And I've been logging the Garmin stats daily also:
    http://3men1bike.com/our-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Cycled behind/ahead/behind/ahead of you from Deansgrange to Booterstown. Had seen this thread earlier, but didn’t realise this was you finishing your circle of the island, or I would have shouted encouragement/congrats (or attempted – I’m shy :o).

Well done!
    (I’ve sent a wee donation via your site)

Cycled behind/ahead/behind/ahead of you from Deansgrange to Booterstown. Had seen this thread earlier, but didn’t realise this was you finishing your circle of the island, or I would have shouted encouragement/congrats (or attempted – I’m shy :o).

Well done!
    (I’ve sent a wee donation via your site)

Yep, that was us, I think I remember you alright. We met a reception of family and friends at Booterstown and they cycled in with us to 2wheels in Sandymount Green - lap completed. Fantastic trip, how lucky we are to live in such a welcoming and beautiful country.

Really appreciate your donation, thanks very much. We're just shy of e9,000 raised but expect there's about e3,000 to come in. That's all going to the Irish Cancer Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I spotted three gentlemen on one bike at the roundabout near Shankill last night. There are so many three man tandems (trandems? triandems?) in that part of the world I couldn't be sure if was you lads...!
    I tried to wave fom the car anyway, and avoided crashing with only small difficulty.

Well done on completing the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Congratulations! Next time try one of these...
    http://www.conferencebike.com/

811.jpg

Advertisement