Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS my brew infected/drinkable?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭

I threw on a Canadian blonde a while ago (over a month) but I've been to busy to bottle it. So I went to bottle it today and noticed some crap on the top. Strangely enough, its actually on 2 levels. Some floating on the surface, and more of it floating on the same level below the surface.

I then put some into the a glass to see what it looked like and it was very cloudy. Can someone have a look at these pics and tell me if I need to dump it, or can I salvage it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Tastes decent enough. Not sour. Just like flat beer, which I'm assuming is the correct taste?

It was only the look of it that put me off, ie the mould on the top and the horrible cloudyness after 6 weeks in the fermentor!

Actually, there was a bitta mould on the tap when I took off the cover too.

It's probably fine, then. Just make sure you give it all a through clean before you use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Fair enough. I'll throw it into the bottles and come back to it in a few weeks and see if the cloudiness has gone.

Would the mould not get into the beer though, since the yeast would now be dormant? It must be unhealthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

On the subject of infecting beer, is it OK to top up a partial boil with un-boiled bottled water? or should this be boiled and cooled first?

Thanks

L

It's best to boil and cool, but it'll probably be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's best to boil and cool.
    Thanks. I'll do that then.

Advertisement