Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 3D TV - 40 inch LED LCD TV - €999 at Harvey Norman

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Model IE40PFL9705H/12.

Awesome set and an absolutely cracking price. This TV ticks the boxes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

5 mins of googling ...its 3D Ready.....was priced at €2K last december ...I'm guessing people are not buying high end TV's anymore .... cant afford to splash out when you can only notice the difference when its next to another TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

PCPhoto wrote: »
    5 mins of googling ...its 3D Ready.....was priced at €2K last december ...I'm guessing people are not buying high end TV's anymore .... cant afford to splash out when you can only notice the difference when its next to another TV.

Yip, pretty much what the guy in the store was saying - sets not exactly flying out the door at the moment. I'd bet they'll shift a few of these at this price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Same price at the Philips shop and they have a Boards.ie interaction forum here. I think they do boardsie discounts too (though don't hold me to that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Soarer

OK price for an OK set.

Massively overpriced to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To be fair, the philips shop have had it at that price for a few weeks. No doubt its a gorgeous set. Pity this thread is coming on a day when it was announced Philips are selling off their Loss making TV division

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/business/item/21425-philips-to-offload-tv-unit/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

The Philips for €999 or the Samsung UE40D6530 for €1099? Wanted to get the Samsung but Harvey Normans are really pushing the Philips... any advice?

Thanks...

Don't know much about the Sammy, but I'd not go for the Philips.

When the Philips is good, it's very good ie. bright, crisp images. But when it's bad, it's awful ie. off centre haloing, haloing on near-black images, etc.
    3D is also supposed to be diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Personally I'd have the Samsung over the Philips, There might not be a huge difference in picture but the Sammy just oozes class, I can't say the same about the Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

I have that Philips TV and I'm very happy with it. No real affiliation with any brand but I was impressed with this particular model.

Soarer and cork45, are you specifically recommending the UE40D6530 Samsung TV over the 40PFL9705H Philips, or was it a more general comment that ye were making, in that you'd generally go for a Samsung over a Philips?

As I said, I don't really have a favourite, just curious.

I'm recommending the Samsung over the 9705.

Maybe all LED backlit screens suffer the same amount of haloing as the 9705 and it's the technology that's at fault?

Philips are selling off the 9705's dirt cheap 'cause they made a bags of them. The 3D is supposedly diabolical, even though the 9705 is their flagship 3D set. So they're trying to get rid now before the new model(s) come out, which I can only assume have fixed the faults of the 9705.

• Advertisement

Yikes, wish you posted this before!!

I will say, I didn't buy the TV for the 3D so can't comment on that, bought it mainly as a high-end 2D, HD TV. Can't say I've noticed any haloing but I haven't fully put it through its paces yet, only watched a few films and live matches. Looks good so far! Made some changes alright to get a better picture for the 2nd match I watched as the 1st match wasn't great I thought. I don't do any gaming.

Hadn't considered the UE40D6530 when I was looking, so many TV's out there now it's hard to keep on top of them all - they're getting like computers, yesterday's news before they leave the shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

twigsirl wrote: »
    Soarer and cork45, are you specifically recommending the UE40D6530 Samsung TV over the 40PFL9705H Philips, or was it a more general comment that ye were making, in that you'd generally go for a Samsung over a Philips?

In general I'd prefer Samsung over Philips but I think that particular Samsung telly is brilliant.

twigsirl wrote: »
    Yikes, wish you posted this before!!

I will say, I didn't buy the TV for the 3D so can't comment on that, bought it mainly as a high-end 2D, HD TV. Can't say I've noticed any haloing but I haven't fully put it through its paces yet, only watched a few films and live matches. Looks good so far! Made some changes alright to get a better picture for the 2nd match I watched as the 1st match wasn't great I thought. I don't do any gaming.

Hadn't considered the UE40D6530 when I was looking, so many TV's out there now it's hard to keep on top of them all - they're getting like computers, yesterday's news before they leave the shop!

If you're not seeing problems, don't look for them! You'll do your nut once you notice them!

As for the 9705, all you have to do is look at the next model down, the 8605, is now €300 more expensive than the 9705! That should tell you everything you need to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Thanks guys - think ill stick with the Samsung even thought the remote looks like something from the 80's!!

Harvey Norman need at least two weeks to order in so if anyone else has more advice, id really appreciate it...

Thanks again...

To add to this thread, went over to AVForums to find a gi-normous thread (split into 4 parts!) about the Philips 40PFL9705H/12 TV. Suffice to say, it had its problems initially. If you wish to know what they are/were, nip over there, I don't think I need to clog this thread with them?

To summarise where that thread has evolved to, it all depends on when the 9705 was manufactured. On the back of the TV, the serial number is in the form of XXXX XXXX XXXXXX. The middle section, the 2nd set of XXXX, contains the date e.g. 1046 which would mean that the TV you are looking at was put together in week 46 of 2010. The majority of the problems with the 9705 seem to be from sets with a date of 1032 and before, as Philips were taking sets back and replacing parts in them. From 1034 onwards, the sets started coming with the updated parts. Also, the latest firmware from Philips solved some other problems that people were having.

So, if you are buying a 9705 in a store, ask them for a set with a relatively new date on it, and be adamant about it. There are sets with this years date available, plus the tail end of last years sets should be fine.

Mine is a 1048 and I have no problems, touch wood, but as I mentioned above, I have not played with any of the 3D features.

Sorry to get a little off-topic, but I hope this is useful for some people.

Advertisement