Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caustic soda for soap making?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know where i can get caustic soda for soap making ( not the cleaning stuff in B & Q)

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I knew caustic soda was used in soap making but I thought the process made it harmless. Is there a different one for soap making then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Ask a chemist or a vet maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You can buy it on ebay, but I thought as Jellybaby1 previously stated, that the cleaning stuff is the same thing as used in making soap. B and Q caustic Soda specifically mentioned here: In another forum

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

You can get caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) from The Soap Kitchen's website. They have to send it by courier so it would work out expensive just for that but they sell loads of other soapmaking stuff, as does Just a Soap.
    Bomar.ie also has it, but only in 25kg bags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

I always associated it with dehorning cattle, are you sure it goes into soap? That'd be some soap! :eek:

• Advertisement

Found this by accident. The posts are very old but you might see something of interest.
    http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org/Homemade_Soap_about1518.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

thanks for all the replies :-)

thank-you so much for the link

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Found this by accident. The posts are very old but you might see something of interest.
    http://countrytalkandtips.myfreeforum.org/Homemade_Soap_about1518.html
    thank you so much for the link

No prob. Dunno if its of any help. How are you getting on with soapmaking?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    No prob. Dunno if its of any help. How are you getting on with soapmaking?
    haven't started yet,waiting for an order of caustic soda from Just A Soap :-)

Advertisement