Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text message Scam

Options
  • 18-04-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Last night i got a text message saying

" I have a business proposal of US$24.5 Million for you to handle with me from my bank. Please email me at andrewchan1 @ iprimus.com.au for more details. Chan"

from <snip> and if you ring the number it comes into a voicemail of some Maria woman

I was wondering if anyone else got the same message?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mobile number removed.
    Fairly obvious scam, however scam or not, I am not prepared to display mobile numbers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭biffontour

No prob, sorry wasn't to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Seems to be a regular scam. Lots of hits on google for the email address.

http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=andrewchan1%40iprimus.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭patentseven

Got this this morn. 02:26. Nice time to get a 4qn text.
    "Your mobile number with REF NUM(NK11) have won 750,000GBP in our
    NOKIA new year sales promo contact:
    mr.morrisrogers@yahoo.com.hk
    .+447<snip>
    for more info
    That 027 is a South African prefix & their mobiles begin with either a 7 or 8.
    I rang the 0044 nr. from unlisted landline & a female voice says "I'm going
    to transfer you now". Mr morris rogers answers and I say "4Q you 4QN scammer" but he must know that already right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Got this this morn. 02:26. Nice time to get a 4qn text.
    "Your mobile number with REF NUM(NK11) have won 750,000GBP in our
    NOKIA new year sales promo contact:
    mr.morrisrogers @ yahoo.com.hk
    +447<snip>
    for more info
    That 027 is a South African prefix & their mobiles begin with either a 7 or 8.
    I rang the 0044 nr. from unlisted landline & a female voice says "I'm going
    to transfer you now". Mr morris rogers answers and I say "4Q you 4QN scammer" but he must know that already right?
    I got the same text about an hour ago. I wonder how they got my number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Same message here, yesterday morning... are you guys on Vodafone or another network? Really wondering where the hell they got my number from too...

I rang Vodafone & they said this dickhead is putting Irish mobile prefix nrs. & then making up the rest. If somebody is daft enough to answer him he
    can steal money from them. I looked it up on Google & it's well known &
    widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Well hopefully people won't be that thick... this thread now comes up as the fourth result on Google if you enter the first part of the spam text so I'd hope people at least have the sense to google it if nothing else (though the whole wording and yahoo email address should be warning enough in themselves to most folks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

I got one of these messages this morning at 5. Real pity its not true, I could really do with £750,000 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im on Meteor so its more than Vodafone affected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

I am with 3 .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Relax guys.

It is just a scam. It cost no one anything so just ignore and move on.

:)

Yep! that's it move on. Just hope nobody gets caught. Bet there will be some though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yoshi1

My son got it in on his phone yesterday, (age 13). You can imagine his excitement:eek::eek::eek:!!!! I tried to explain, but he was convinced that I was just being pessimistic:cool::cool::cool:. I Wish!!!!
    So cruel!!:confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement