Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Indian Sandstone patio

Options
  • 18-04-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I have a patio of about 35 sqm paved with Indian Sandstone.
    I have never really been happy with the finish on it. It certainly did not come out the same as the sample patio in the garden center.
    The slabs are nowhere near as smooth as I expected and the joints between them are huge.
    You certainly can't roll anything across it.

I think that a lot of this was down to issues with the skill level of the gardener.

Anyway, if I wanted to replace the stone, is this something that would be easy to do? Would it simply be a matter of taking off the slabs and replacing them with new ones (probably not sandstone).

Would the sandstone slabs that are removed have any value - i.e could they be used against the cost of the new stone - or are they simply for the bin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Can't advise about the construction, sorry, but they definately would be of use to someone. Me for example :-) Please don't bin them! Let me know if you want rid of them at some stage. Been on the lookout for some time.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I have never really been happy with the finish on it. It certainly did not come out the same as the sample patio in the garden center.
    The slabs are nowhere near as smooth as I expected and the joints between them are huge.

I think that a lot of this was down to issues with the skill level of the gardener.

Anyway, if I wanted to replace the stone, is this something that would be easy to do? Would it simply be a matter of taking off the slabs and replacing them with new ones (probably not sandstone).

Would the sandstone slabs that are removed have any value - i.e could they be used against the cost of the new stone - or are they simply for the bin?

Wouldn't be surprised, based on your description that the paving was laid upsidedown, in which case the good side would be spoiled by old mortar, and of little value:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

He he - thanks Redser.
    I was thinking if there was any value in them - to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

New sandstone slabs circa €24/sqm so if you could get them up without damaging them then they could be easy sold - second hand price would depend on condition and buyer.

Worth a try... but removing old slabs intact off a cement base could be difficult. Sandstone thickness would be a factor - thin slab well cemented would be difficult to get up without breaking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

[/QUOTE]Anyway, if I wanted to replace the stone, is this something that would be easy to do? Would it simply be a matter of taking off the slabs and replacing them with new ones (probably not sandstone).

[/QUOTE]

It could be costly to re-lay new slabs. Because the slabs are all different thicknesses they all have individual thickness mortar beds (or should have). Basically, the whole bed will have to be re-assessed after the slabs are lifted. Hopefully, it was laid properly.
    When the slab is lifted, chances are that the mortar will be stuck to it and as RKQ says, some, if not many, will break.
    With regard to preparing them for re-sale: chipping off old mortar is not cost effective. You could however, use brick cleaner which could cost up to 30 per 5L. I can't really see you recouping much from the old slabs, you might be as well off letting somebody who wants them, lift them and take away. Sorry to be so negative, but it's as well to be prepared for the potential costs which might be involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sandstone are not totally flat anyway. I saw some nice tiny pebbles yesterday, about the size of lentils - could you fill the gaps with something like that, or are they cemented between?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

Same problem here. Had Sandstone put down couple of years ago but they never looked right. Turns out they were laid upside down. I'd really like to relay them myself the proper way up. Fortunately i have had no problems taking up a few slabs as they were laid on a mix of mostly sand with no sign of mortar spoiling them and because of that the slabs look brand new the right way round.
    However the problem i have is that the base is a mixture of concrete and sand and looks very uneven. I' working with an area of nearly 50sq meters and if i was to try clean up this area before relaying slabs it would take a while. Have I any other options!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos of your patio.jack

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jay5296

This was Patio before I took up a few slabs. I'll take a few photos tomorrow of what is left underneat. Im thinking i might be better of putting layer of gravel on top of uneven sub base and compact it before laying again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A concrete grinder / polisher maybe ? dunno how it would go on sandstone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

BraveDonut wrote: »

Indian slabs are best laid upside down (yours aren't) because this allows for the most even finish, seeing as the underside is machine cut. Slabs are uneven and different thickness - which is part of the appeal - and cannot be laid on an even bed of mortar. The better side is ruined by mortar staining now, but it's worth a while to try haggling with someone who deals in patios/paving. For the Companies, it'd be cheaper to buy new slabs than buying second-hand.

Advertisement