Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pain down leg - Sciatica Nerve

Options
  • 18-04-2011 4:18pm

Hi,

I'm in my 60ths and hurt my back one year ago lifting some coal - I now have daily pain down my leg from Sciatica nerve in my back.

I have had two injections into my back in Cork and no success & have gone for physio but no success. I wear patches for the pain, but these are now wearing off now also...

Any advice & success stories would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I suffer with my sciatic nerve too, and I find that a really hard rub with Deep Heat sorts me out for hours. When you're sitting down, try have a hot waterbottle at that point on your back. I really hurt mine about 6 weeks ago and it's still tender but if it gets very sore I take pain killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pookat

Hi, I suffer from lower back pain also - I've been to see a consultant who told me that it was something to do with the sacroiliac joint in the hip, but I slipped a disc a few years back and I reckon that it's all connected to the disc issue. My GP thinks it's a herniated disc or sciatica, and keeps giving me anti-inflammatories (which play havoc with my stomach) and Valium to relax the muscle when it goes into spasm. I'm being referred for physiotherapy now, but in all the years of problems, nobody has suggested an x-ray or scan! I'm getting a bit sick of taking anti-inflammatories and I should really insist on a scan, but when I go the the doc I don't question what they say as I usually reckon they know what they're talking about?! I've tried heat patches and cold patches, rubs and liniments, and every balm and lotion under the sun, and nothing works!

I'm just curious to know how the physiotherapist will know how to treat this without having a scan to refer to? Surely it would be a lot easier if they knew what they were dealing with? Or can they diagnose sciatica/herniated disc without an x-ray?

Does anyone have experience of physio for lower back problems without having had any scans done??

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

i had sciatica same as you mentioned OP for over 5months. I found a yoga exercise and within 3days i was pain free.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Hi,

I'm in my 60ths and hurt my back one year ago lifting some coal - I now have daily pain down my leg from Sciatica nerve in my back.

I have had two injections into my back in Cork and no success & have gone for physio but no success. I wear patches for the pain, but these are now wearing off now also...

Any advice & success stories would be very much appreciated.

There is a cranial osteopath in Killaloe called Gideon Seth that fixed mine. I had previously been to 2 doctors, a chiropractor and a physio none of whom could fix it.
    It is a very gentle treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Ask your GP to refer you to Mr.(Dr) Karr neurosureon CUH, he'll sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Have the same problem. When l first hurt my back last oct, it was just my lower back and after 3 wks, l went for a physio and the exercises l was given made it worse. Went on anti inflammatories and pain killers. Tried heat and cold patches etc. There was some days l couldn't sit, stand or lie down and would cry with the pain of it. Did an mri scan last jan which showed up a slipped dics and was pressing on the nerves. Went to osethpath, he said he couldn't fix my back but would try to ease the pain by taking the pressure off the nerves which it did helped abit. I also went to a back doctor, he gave me a cortisone injection which also helped. I still have the pain and it only just down the back of my thigh. I can't bent down and in the morn l can't sit properly. l am just takin painkillers once a day and as long as l take it easy l would be fine but as l am a mother of 3 kids, it's not that easy. This has affected us alot in some ways. I am going to get an epidural injection which l hope will work. A cousin of mine had the same problem and had an op which was a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement