Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday with Dog

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all, I am wondering has anybody taken their dogs away with them. I would be thinking of the Wexford area. Do any of you know any good areas around there pet friendly. My lab is a rescue dog and has never seen or been near the sea, not even a river:D so would love to take her somewhere and see how she gets on. My westie has never been to the sea before but has been around rivers and loves it. So Im really hoping if at all possible would there be somewhere, somebody would know about.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 loniy

Hi,i bring my dogs everywhere with me & we got a 3rd one this year,so she'll be having her 1st holiday soon,Curraghcloe (probably not spelt right) is a lovely sandy beach for them,theres never really too many people around,just be sure to bring your poop bags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im involved in dog showing and every August there is a week of shows in Kerry so all the dog show people head down for the week with their dogs and rent out houses that take dogs and in between the days of shows we go to the beach like Inhc, Glenbeigh, Killarney National Park etc, its fab.

So of course you can take your dog on holiday with you. Just search ept friendly accomodation online, daft.ie etc and there are loads of places to rent all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

loniy wrote: »
    Hi,i bring my dogs everywhere with me & we got a 3rd one this year,so she'll be having her 1st holiday soon,Curraghcloe (probably not spelt right) is a lovely sandy beach for them,theres never really too many people around,just be sure to bring your poop bags :)

Super thanks so much for that, would love to take them even for a few days to see how they get on. We live about 1hr 20 from wexford, that been the nearest to us. So would need plenty of stops along the way. Where do you stay in around Curracloe? It is a fab beach ok.

Big dog show in Kerry sounds great and all the days out in between, sur they'd never want to come home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Last summer we stayed with the dogs in Rossbeigh, Kerry. You can rent a cottage just by the beach. Its a fantastic spot, especially when you get the weather. The cottages are nothing fancy but they were perfect for us and minutes from the beach.

Suzie approved anyway...
    IMG_5769.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Suzies a beauty..;)

• Advertisement

i bring mine to campsites,its just easier for us & its a very cheap holiday,we have a huge dog cage that they sleep in at night in the awning & they love it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We go camping too, but to be honest I'm getting very bloody sick of people who "allow" dogs until you call them, and the dog must be a small dog, or you pull up to reception, they take a look in the car, then look from you to the dog and back to you again as if you're mad bringing anything but a smallie camping.

Oh and of course the ones who feel the need to remind you ten times a day to pick up after your dog even though you have the bags permanently attached to the lead. AND then the ones who remind you time and again that the dog needs to be kept on a lead, even though the dog is safely in a crate munching a bone.

I fully understand the need for control, and I don't blame the people who run the sites sometimes, their main income is from families, so if you have families complaining about "the big dog" they have to do something I suppose.

I'd love to go wild camping, but I'm not sure of the rules around it. Does anybody know if you can camp on coillte land?

Whispered wrote: »
    We go camping too, but to be honest I'm getting very bloody sick of people who "allow" dogs until you call them, and the dog must be a small dog, or you pull up to reception, they take a look in the car, then look from you to the dog and back to you again as if you're mad bringing anything but a smallie camping.

Oh and of course the ones who feel the need to remind you ten times a day to pick up after your dog even though you have the bags permanently attached to the lead. AND then the ones who remind you time and again that the dog needs to be kept on a lead, even though the dog is safely in a crate munching a bone.

I fully understand the need for control, and I don't blame the people who run the sites sometimes, their main income is from families, so if you have families complaining about "the big dog" they have to do something I suppose.

I'd love to go wild camping, but I'm not sure of the rules around it. Does anybody know if you can camp on coillte land?

You can, but you can't light a fire afaik.

theres a site in limerick thats in a forest & i think you can light fires in it,i cant remember the name of it but its in the caravan & camping booklet.

seems i was wrong Whispered....:eek:

http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/templates/pdfs/Coillte_Eng_12.pdf

Camping is currently permitted in Coillte forests only
    with permission. Permission for over-night camping is
    frequently granted by Forest Managers to organised
    groups such as Scouts or members of the Defence
    Forces on training exercises.
    In practise camping often occurs without permission,
    especially close to large urban areas or adjacent to
    long distance walking routes. Some of this camping
    is conducted responsibly, but unfortunately, much
    unauthorised camping activity results in damage to trees,
    littering and other environmental damage (water quality
    can be an issue in some of our upland and ‘wild land’
    due to the incorrect disposal of user waste.)
    Coillte acknowledges that our extensive forests represent
    a potential resource for responsible camping that could
    be environmentally benign, rewarding to the user and
    represents no conflict with our commercial mission. At
    present we allow camping for the general public at two
    sites only – Curraghchase and Lough Key. There is no
    provision for back packing type camping. The challenge
    is to enable responsible camping to take place, and at
    the same time to discourage undesirable practices.
    By providing, for the first time, a Camping Code,
    we will introduce clarity for users and managers,
    and proactively influence this activity which will take
    place whether or not we allow it.
    Trends
    There has been no notable increase in forest camping in
    the last fifteen years. This is possibly a result of the fact
    that a smaller proportion of today’s young people are
    active in the outdoors (for example, Scout numbers have
    fallen). However, many of the responsible users who visit
    forests today are more environmentally conscious and
    would be more likely to remark on litter etc. There is,
    however, more sensitivity to the negative impacts that
    camping can bring.
    In the last decade young people have more money
    and mobility and in many cases, a higher use of alcohol
    and drugs. As a result, ‘drink/drugs camp-overs’ have
    become a regular feature in some forests.
    At the other end of the scale, we also have
    environmentally conscious backpackers, often foreign,
    who hike the way-marked ways that traverse our estate
    and like to camp en route or simply those who wish to
    enjoy a wilder camping experience.
    In areas close to the larger urban areas, ‘campsites’
    have developed with an increase in litter, fire damage
    and human waste issues.
    Legislation
    The recent Housing (miscellaneous provisions) Act
    grants powers to landowners to have the Gardaí
    remove unauthorised campers. But it is likely that such
    legislation will only be invoked to deal with campers
    who are, in effect, living in the forest and will not apply
    to casual or recreational campers. Coillte agents are
    entitled to demand that people who they consider to be
    trespassers leave the forest, but that doesn’t mean that a
    crime or offence was caused by the people being there
    in the first place.
    International Experience
    The Northern Ireland Forest Service allows camping
    by permit only at its ‘touring in the woods’ sites. In
    Scotland, wild camping is permitted in the forest

• Advertisement

yeh i hate when they get fussy about the type of dogs you have,my biggest is a boxer & shes a dote,ive never even heard her growl & yet people look at her like shes a monster & my smallest dog is a pom who nobody takes any notice of & the truth be told..shes the 1 who would eat you!! lol

DBCyc your dog is fab. And looks to be well enjoying her beach time.

Thanks all else so much for replying. I would be afraid to try camping first for simple fact incase they bark all night! At least with a house you could bring them in if that was the case. This is my beauty and of course I have a westie also, I don't have an easy pic to hand of him.

Its something Id love to do and hopefully will get to. Thanks all

2.jpg

oh your dog is fab!!
    i was afraid that my dogs would bark too,but they know that you are there with them & they tend not to,even if you just went somewhere for 1 night just to see how they go.

Thanks, I didn't know if you could just go somewhere for one night. I must have a look around now and see, what sites do you all recommend, I will check daft too.

This my other just found pic, they like mother and baby to each other, they brill together, would be a great treat

Sammy.jpg

if you go to any camping shop (crazycamping is in wexford on the new ross road) you will get the caravan & camping booklet. The ones i like are The Apple Farm(Tipperary)The Glen of Aherlow camping park(Tipperary)Ballinacourty House(Tipperary)Hidden Valley(rathdrum)Red Cross camping park(rathdrum) Thats all i can think of at the moment. But if you want,i dont know if you can private mail on this,but i have a spare camping book that i can send you if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Myself and OH were just talking about this today, trying to sort out whether or not we're going on holidays, we always go away for a week somewhere sunny but this year we're talking about just going on a short city break somewhere in EU and then getting away with the dogs for a few days or possibly a week renting a house/ cottage somewhere in Ireland and I'm WAY more excited about that!

Anyone got suggestions or even links for somewhere like this (preferably along west coast)

we've 3 collies so somewhere near beach and or mountains would be super. Thinking of Roundstone in Connemara or somewhere similar in Clare/Sligo etc

I don't ask for much haha:o:D

Thanks for that, I think I would be so more excited about bringing the dogs away too than going out foreign:)
    Hope you find somewhere, thanks all else about that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

We always used to holiday in Curracloe, Co. Wexford as kids... has a fantastic beach.
    Last summer we decided to stay here. They allow dogs, now there isn't any type of closed off garden areas but I just put the dog on the lead and brought it out to go toilet whenever it needed. It's a really nice spot and the owner of the place is very friendly. Also, and most importantly, it is just a five minute stroll from the beach. Brought the dog there every morning and night for a walk.

Thanks a mill super

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

We have taken our dog with us a couple of times to Quilty in Clare, nice basic cottages that allow dogs. He also came to Spain with us last year for a month (he has a pet passport) and we are doing it again this year. He has a great time wherever we take him and it just enhances the holidays for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

magentas wrote: »
    week renting a house/ cottage somewhere in Ireland and I'm WAY more excited about that!

Anyone got suggestions or even links for somewhere like this (preferably along west coast)

we've 3 collies so somewhere near beach and or mountains would be super. Thinking of Roundstone in Connemara or somewhere similar in Clare/Sligo etc

I don't ask for much haha:o:D

If there's just the two of you,this one in Roundstone is grand and allows pets

http://www.cc-cottages.com/english/rstn_134.php#

We stayed there a couple of years ago

2346206228_8b4852265d.jpg
    DSC_0562a by Crowded_House, on Flickr

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

anyone know a good place where I can rent a cottage in Galway that is dog friendly. I was thinking of bringing the dog on holidays this year as I don't want to send him to kennels but would need pet friendly accom for quite a lively dog,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The ISPCA have a list of pet-friendly accommodation by county - http://www.ispca.ie/Pet-Friendly-Holiday-Accommodation.aspx

Not sure how frequently it's updated, so obviously check before you book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Try daft.ie and the holiday home section, also donedeal.ie have a holiday home section as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

We stayed in a lovely cottage near Spiddal, ini Galway, a few weeks ago and it was terrific. We brought all three dogs, no problem.
    I have the guys mobile number if you want me to pm it to you;)

Advertisement