Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught .......

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all,

I dont know where to start.........

Last September I sold my 10yr old mare and was looking for a new challenge in the form of a young horse to bring on myself. I went to my local dealer whom I know very well and thought alot of. He said he had a mare for me in mind and when she was broken and riding would give me a shout to see her.

Few weeks later I went to a local show to see her jump and to have a chat with him. she went around great, big mare, Brilliant breeding, green passport, seemed perfect. He said if I was interested that he would keep her at his for another 8 weeks as she needed alot of work before I would be able for her, that he would jump her at a few winter shows, take to a hunt or two and I should be able to ride her by then.

Rode her after another few weeks, and loved her. Bought her and took her home, before i took her home he said that after 6 months if she wasnt suiting he would take her back and get me something else.

2nd day home, schooling in yard, after 20mins took a fit of bucking and i came flying off like a rag doll, broke my wrist. Depressed!! 6 weeks in a splint and mare stuck in stable, could only lunge her in the training aid. Eventually got back up, got back working her and she seemed quiet but very backward. Had a few lessons with my trainer and he could see no improvement in her at all.

Kept at her 4 months later and her jump was slowly coming but she was getting very fit and very strong. As you can imagine my wrist will never be as strong as it was, and I would consider myself a very strong and competent rider. she would lock her jaw and take off around the arena stopping for nothing, into kicking boards, fences anything. Now I was getting nervous, yet i got her teeth checked, back checked, all i could, changed the bit and she would still take the P**S out of me.

On the stronger lads at yard rode her and she was brillaint for him, went fab, jumped a good 1.10 track after a week and i couldnt believe it.

after a 3 weeks with him i got up again and staright away she knew and started her messing.

So!! i rang my trusted noble dealer and told him and said she wasnt working and that i wanted to bring her back, that she was a mans horse and i was afraid of her. He listened, gave excuses, that I wasnt riding her right etc, he knows my trainer and even then he wasnt having it. Eventually he agreed to "sorting it out", told me put mare out and he would get me something else. that was 8 weeks ago.

I have rang and rang, he has passed me onto dealers all over the country who will take my mare but want serious money for a trade for anything else. He broke his promise and I am down what i paid him and have a mare in a field that i cannot ride.

what can I do? My Bf who would be a good friend of his has had major agruements with him and he ( the dealer) has promised to sort it but I feel I am being fobbed off. If she is so good why not take her back?? he claims it is because he has no room at present but i am sure he has a field he can put her into. We meet him and his wife regularly at shows and local events and I am so mad at him i have ignored them any time i see them.

My BF said to be patient but the summer will be over and ill have another horse to feed for winter that i cant ride. He was very quick to take my money .................

this has me so upset, i cant sleep i am worried will i have to sell m y box to tarde her in for something else.

Should i take her in again and try her again? get her going and sell??

THIS IS A NITEMARE..................:(

( SORRY FOR THE RANT THANK YOU FOR READING)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

So sorry for your predicament, similar story happened a friend of mine. Unfortunately when you buy a horse you come under the laws of "Caveat Emptor" or buyer beware to you or I. The Dealer in this situation does not have to do a thing for you, as you have found out to your cost. Maybe the best way out of the situation would be to register the mare with SJI and get the strong rider in the yard to put up a few points on her and enter her up for one of the upcoming premier sales in Cavan or Goresbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leather

Its very annoying that the dealer is going back on his promise to you, especially if he is a friend, but you did say you wanted the challenge of a young horse... I dont think you have given the mare a proper chance yet. It can take a while for to gel with a young horse, and one rider can seem very different to the next with a youngster. Could you get lunging her and give her a lunge for 15 mins before you get up, take the edge off her? and keep getting some lessons on her, loads of flat work and circling in walk and trot? I would give her another chance, no such thing as a 'mans horse', you might get along great with her yet with a bit of perseverance. That said if you are afraid of her and you think you will get hurt then maybe sales is a good call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did you have anything in writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi There,

Sorry to hear your situation but its one we hear a lot in our shop. Can you post some info on the horse, breeding, age, more detail on work done or who brought her on. We may have a contact who would maybe just maybe look at her. We are always matching people and dealers with each other and so far so good. There is nothing worse than having the "fear" about your horse, my partner had that and we just sold the animal as she was not working to her potential and we felt bad for her and us!

Try and stay positive and focus on a new horse and it'll happen. If you want to PM me details instead of posting in public do and also let me know what you need for her so that your not out of pocket and you never know..

Eoghan

Advertisement