Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting go of UCC

Options
  • 18-04-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I'm wondering if other people find it difficult to let go of UCC after finishing. Following graduatation I tried to find a job but now I'm back in UCC doing a PhD (so 4 more years). My social life at the moment revolves around current students and recent graduates of UCC, which is fantastic, but if you asked me 5 years ago if that would be the case in 2011 I'd have said no. Not with standing the current economic situation in Ireland I would have hoped to be in full time employment outside the remit of UCC and to be in a different social sphere encompassing all my friends, not just relying on the College scene

UCC is a fantastic social hub, one which has furnished me with the best friends I'll ever have. I've experienced things I never thought I'd experience and being thaught lessons that will stand to me for the rest of my life. I know all good things come to an end but I'll fight until that end to keep the dream alive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I've been thinking something similar recently. I'm just finishing my masters so it will have been 5 years in UCC when I leave to go to London working in July.

I'm curious as to how much my social life will drop given the amount of contacts I have built up in UCC over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I know what you mean. I left UCC 4 years ago and I have an offer to go back there this September. I have spent a large chunk of the 4 years since I finished abroad. I'm not sure I'll accept the offer, I thought UCC would be firmly in the rear view mirror at this stage in my life. I guess sometimes you have to go backwards to go forward. I'm still close to the friends I made in UCC and I'm in regular enough contact with them but being away from home has meant I had to try and expand my social circle more.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

What I miss alot is just sitting outside the Boole or the Student centre and bumping in to people randomly. Every day you were guaranteed to meet someone for a drink with or just hang around with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I moved to Cork to study in UCC (Philosophy MA) and miss it like mad. In Dublin I never really got involved with so-called college life, but when I came to Cork this all changed.

I intend on enrolling in a PhD program there in the not-too-distant future. I love the place.

Advertisement