Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Junior Radio

Options
  • 18-04-2011 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I have just heard another advert for RTE Junior Radio, at 9am in the morning, on RTE One. Does anyone actually listen to it? Do you know someone who listens to it? When I was a kid I might have listened to it if there was nothing else, but nowadays, when there are ipods, Nintendo DSes, Xboxes, Playstation, the internet, and the cartoon network, I wonder how many kids drop their console and pick up the radio instead.

Now I understand not every family can afford playstations and now that things are tighter for many families, it could arguably be a useful source of distraction for some kids, I just wonder how many?

Considering RTE is in such financial difficulties, I wonder should it continue providing this service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

Nobody listens to those DAB stations because nobody has DAB radio sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The BBC recently dropped childrens radio programming (when BBC7 was rebranded as BBC4 extra) and it was hardly noticed.

RTE have far too many digital stations, and the Childrens station should be the first to go. The ratings must be tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tapes wrote: »
    Nobody listens to those DAB stations because nobody has DAB radio sets.

I didn't realise you needed extra equipment to listen to it. The cheap distraction for the poor family argument now holds less water, as they are less likely to have a digital radio.

I wonder if the ratings for it are available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

You can listen to the DAB stations on a DAB radio, on DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) or on-line.

craoltoir wrote: »
    You can listen to the DAB stations on a DAB radio, on DTT (Digital Terrestrial Television) or on-line.

So, if you have digital, presumably, you would have access to Cartoon Network and things of a similar ilk, and if you need an internet connection then you have the wealth of information that is the internet as a competitor.

The reason I point this out, is because one could argue that it could be an excellent service for people who do not have digital TV, and the internet. It seems somewhat ironic, that you can only receive the station over these media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

SkidMark wrote: »
    The BBC recently dropped childrens radio programming (when BBC7 was rebranded as BBC4 extra) and it was hardly noticed.

RTE have far too many digital stations, and the Childrens station should be the first to go. The ratings must be tiny.

It's not about the ratings - RTE is not a purely commercial station - it's about the Public Service Charter. RTE's obligations under this charter must be met so that it can carry on receiving the license fee.

from the charter: (sorry about the weird spacing, it's a PDF thing and I don't have the time to correct it)

Children
    In its programming, RTÉ shall ensure that children are respected as young
    citizens with a valued contribution to make and a voice of their own
    RTÉ acknowledges the strong influencing powers of broadcasting,
    particularly on children and young people. In its programming RTÉ shall have
    regard to the responsibilities associated with this*

http://www.rte.ie/about/organisation/psb.pdf

tbh wrote: »
    It's not about the ratings - RTE is not a purely commercial station - it's about the Public Service Charter. RTE's obligations under this charter must be met so that it can carry on receiving the license fee.

from the charter: (sorry about the weird spacing, it's a PDF thing and I don't have the time to correct it)

Children
    In its programming, RTÉ shall ensure that children are respected as young
    citizens with a valued contribution to make and a voice of their own
    RTÉ acknowledges the strong influencing powers of broadcasting,
    particularly on children and young people. In its programming RTÉ shall have
    regard to the responsibilities associated with this*

http://www.rte.ie/about/organisation/psb.pdf

Well at the end of the day it is about ratings, and television or radio programming that no-one listens to or watches, takes resources from programming people do watch/listen to. I am not saying we should end children's programming, I am just wondering how many people use this particular service. I suspect, very few.

*Regular Expressions to the rescue!

syklops wrote: »
    Well at the end of the day it is about ratings,
    not for RTE tho syk, that's the whole point of the public service charter. The license fee is supposed to supplement the advertising money they could make if they just went for a pure ratings winner - say like the networks in the states.
    I suspect, very few.
    not disagreeing with you btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

That station is such a waste of money and space.

Nick Guats wrote: »
    That station is such a waste of money and space.

I pointed this out yesterday on the liveline thread. There was an advert for a program on it. The ad was during liveline when most kids are at school, and the programme was at 3pm. Most kids finish school on the dot of 3 and wouldn't get home til about 3.30 at least.

You have to wonder who is listening to the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have listened to RTE Junior/Chill on my DAB radio and I thinks its a poor effort when compared to those available on satellite, but if you only have access to RTE radio then its better than nothing I suppose?

RTE Junior becomes RTE Chill in the evenings, 9pm I thinlk?

I pointed this out yesterday on the liveline thread. There was an advert for a program on it. The ad was during liveline when most kids are at school, and the programme was at 3pm. Most kids finish school on the dot of 3 and wouldn't get home til about 3.30 at least.

You have to wonder who is listening to the show.

the advert is, i suspect, aimed at the parents rather than the children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Those RTE Digital stations cost very little to run, are the presenters even paid on RTE 2XM? Few people listen because they don’t know they exist.

Most of the stations including RTE junior do fill a gap, the expection being RTE gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Most of the stations including RTE junior do fill a gap, the expection being RTE gold.

Which means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

RTE Gold sounds much like many commercial stations up and down the country expect it doesn’t have to carry ads or news. It feels like a spoiler. Luckily almost no one is aware of it’s existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JDunphy

It should be closed down, maybe in the 50s it would have taken off but kids have xbox 360s these days. I don't know why RTE waste tax payers money on dab. Internet radio is the future and FM will still be around for many years.

JDunphy wrote: »
    It should be closed down, maybe in the 50s it would have taken off but kids have xbox 360s these days. I don't know why RTE waste tax payers money on dab. Internet radio is the future and FM will still be around for many years.

That was my original point. Back in 1950's Ireland RTE Junior would be forgotten if Howdy Doody was on TV. Its 2013 now. I can't see kids embracing radio programmes. TBH I think they would make more money from a dedicated RTE Top Gear channel.

That was my original point. Back in 1950's Ireland RTE Junior would be forgotten if Howdy Doody was on TV. Its 2013 now. I can't see kids embracing radio programmes. TBH I think they would make more money from a dedicated RTE Top Gear channel.

it's hard to argue with any of those points, but funnily enough me and my two-year old were listening to RTE Jr this very morning and singing along to heads and shoulders knees and toes!

tbh wrote: »
    it's hard to argue with any of those points, but funnily enough me and my two-year old were listening to RTE Jr this very morning and singing along to heads and shoulders knees and toes!

Well its hard for me to argue with that point.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We have it on quite a bit in our house. We have two small children and it is an acceptable (to all family members) alternative to Peppa Pig et al. The kids like dancing to the music as it's more age appropriate (their old man has the radio on BBC 6 music otherwise) and it provides pleasant background music or storytelling for them. I suspect if more parents knew about it, they would have tune in also.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I've put it on once or twice... the chill part was nice (although the kids didn't really notice and husband said 'what the heck is tha you're listening to?' :) )

Saturday afternoon seems to be easy listening pop stuff...

I just found it on my tunein app thingy - thought it was ok all in all.

Advertisement