Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Skating in Cork

Options
  • 18-04-2011 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there,
    probably the wrong thread but this is the closest forum i found.

Im looking for some people who would be interested to meet on a regular basis to speed-skate between crosshaven and carrigaline. I just started to train again and think it would be great to team up.
    Hope im not the only one in Cork with Speedskates...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

henjin wrote: »
    Hi there,
    probably the wrong thread but this is the closest forum i found.

Im looking for some people who would be interested to meet on a regular basis to speed-skate between crosshaven and carrigaline. I just started to train again and think it would be great to team up.
    Hope im not the only one in Cork with Speedskates...

Have ye ice down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 henjin

No, this is just summer training on asphalt.

How does this work.

Inline Speed Skating is the correct word
    here a youtube link that you have an idea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIqu7S2b0E

so anybody out there interested? Can advise on material and techniques

Are there even guys in Dublin doing it?

It does look fun. I always find my line skate wheels wear down on the inside of them

• Advertisement

it does wear down thats normal, i use 86A wheels for asphalt which lasts longer. When i see signs of wear i interchange them. Where do you skate yourself?

use too be around the house but not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

might be worth posting on the cork forum . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sarochka

I'd be up for this. I'm based around that area. I'm a relative beginner but I am not bad. Definitely could do with some tips though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

DAMNIT dude.

I left Ireland about 3 months back but have been looking for someone to do this for 10 years.
    Why is it that the instant I leave, a bloody Rink opens in Limerick and threads like this appear.
    Ah well.
    The only time I ever got to use my speed skates were once at Limerick on Ice.
    I had my road wheels here the entire time.

• Advertisement

hi jumpy, drop me a line when you are back some day! where you from by the way?
    sarochka, sure we can meet when back from my holiday. what typ of skates do you have? there is a big difference between speedskates and fitness skates.
    thanks curly for your comment will look in to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sarochka

I'm only new to this as have been doing it only a few weeks. My skates are Razors Cult Street which are recreational skates. as im a relative beginner wouldnt be looking to get more professional skates for a while. i skate fast. look forward to meeting.

from my search the razor cult street skate you have is a stunt skate, not really suitable for speed skating.
    anyway we give it a go in 2 weeks time, anyone else out there who wants to join for a skating lesson?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hiya Henjin, I am Australian and back home now.

For anyone who is actually buying speed skates, I would recommend Bonts http://www.bont.com/inline/index.html . I actually used to skate with Sara Bont back in the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pslide

henjin wrote: »
    Inline Speed Skating is the correct word
    here a youtube link that you have an idea
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbIqu7S2b0E

so anybody out there interested? Can advise on material and techniques

Are there even guys in Dublin doing it?
    Hello there,

Finally I have found someone other than myself in this country that has an interest in speedskating the only problem im based in dublin.
    Im only back training over the last two months and hopefully at the end of september i will have enough in my locker to tackle the berlin marathon in under 1hr30.
    Im currently training in the phoenix park on some powerslide infinitys with 110mm infinity wheels got them 2 months ago hoping to upgrade to matter marathon wheels before the race they are bloody expensive but alot lighter.
    Have you entered any races abroad and is there much interest in speed skating down south?

Hi found this post by accident as it wasnt in my thread.
    thats great to hear looks like we are the pioneers of inline speed skating here in Ireland. must give you a bell when im in Dublin.
    Im german and did Short track for several years when i was a teenager, in the summer i did inline speed skating when there was no ice and yes i did several
    marathons and even a 24hr race. good old days!

drop me line if you have any questions!

cheers hendrik

Hi guys,
    back in training for the summer season. Again i do the 10k lane between Carrigaline and Crosshaven.
    I will be in Dublin next Sunday...is Phoenix Park any good for speed skating?

would love to hook up. Drop me a line here or 86 883

cheers
    hendrik

Advertisement