Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SALMON gone never to return?

Options
  • 18-04-2011 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Out of curiosity if a salmon population died off in a small river from predation pollution whatever the reason would this river ever naturally have salmon in it again?

I know not all fish return the next year some come 2 3 4 years later but as salmon return to the river they were born in and the population died off is that the end of salmon there?

I guess a fish could get lost and spawn in a place but would obv need a partner.

Im asking as i fish on the river suck and some small tributaries around Ballinasloe about 20 years ago used be asmall run of salmon on the suck in aplace called Rileys Ford where you could cross the river in waders and let a float down the center of the river was a beautiful spot but was dredged to make the river navigable:mad:

you could see the fish jumping silver and black and defo were not giant roach :pac:
    Never caught or even hooked one but when my mate was 11 he caught a 5 pounder on a silver spoon looked huge and of course was killed on the spot nowadays wed have let it back.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A small percentage of salmon run up the "wrong" river, that is, not their birth river, to spawn.
    This keeps the gene pool refreshed, but just by a tiny amount.

But because the fresh fish are few, it allows the "home" salmon genetic pool for that river to acquire a form, size and abilities that are best for survival in the particular river.

In the context of your question, yes, the fish will re-establish themselves as a result of this rare tendency. But it will take several decades, not several years - unless mankind makes a positive intervention by placing young salmon in the parts now barren of the species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Have you ever heard of salmon being caught in Dunamon or Castlecoote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

How many salmon on the way upstream would you estimate are taken by poachers netting the rivers .

I seen lads at this in the River Finn in Strabane once. The feckers must have got everything in one scoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Have you ever heard of salmon being caught in Dunamon or Castlecoote?
    No but reckon these are up Roscommon way

many of the salmon caught were snared basically below Rileys Ford after a huge wide bend in the river the river narrowed to about 5 metres and opened up again and salmon used lie where they might be lucky to have a size 2 treble buried in there bellies :mad:.
    Like usually late summer you might see the odd fish i dont think fishing for them was ever worthwhile or in any way viable.

My friend caught his one in Ballygill which is about five miles upstream from Ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scotsbob

A lot depends upon the runs of salmon in nearby rivers and the closeness of the river. For example there are salmon running up the Clyde sine the river has been cleaned up. These are thought to be from fish from teh nearby River Leven, runs into the Clyde downstream from Glasgow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement