Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Ale kit?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys, Newbie here. I have 2 brews under my belt, Coopers European Larger was my first and really liked it, my second was Coopers wheat beer which I am making my way through at the moment and to me it's OK (i.e. drinkable)but I won't try it again ;). Anyway I'm thinking of trying an Ale next time and wondering if there is a kit available that comes close to O'Hara's Irish Ale stocked in Aldi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 flyboy69

Update on coopers wheat beer: I have just opened a bottle to drink in the evening sunshine and it has taken on a completely different character. It tastes super, a totally different drink to last week, obviously I was way to eager to get stuck in and all it needed was a little more time to condition.:D
    So apologies to Coopers wheat beer, I will try it again!
    I am still interested in trying my hand at an Irish ale kit and would appreciate any suggestions that would point me in the right direction for a good brew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Theres a recommendation for one in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056224172

Thanks Martyn, I didn't see that recommendation as the first few posts in the thread concerned brewing from scratch and I'm not brave enough to try that just yet. I will give the St. Peters ruby red ale kit a go and hope to get it up and going this weekend. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Get a best bitter kit and sprinkle some shamrocks over it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

flyboy69, how did you find the european lager kit? Did it use real lager yeast, and did you have to keep it within certain temperatures?

• Advertisement

flyboy69, how did you find the european lager kit? Did it use real lager yeast, and did you have to keep it within certain temperatures?

I used the yeast that came with the kit. I have no idea what strain it was I'm afraid. I didn't use any special temperatures, just left in in the utility room wrapped up in two jumpers. Bear in mind it was brewed during one of the really cold spells last winter. I left a thermometer on the lid under the jumpers and it was holding about 18 degrees C.
    I was more than happy with the end result especially as it was my first attempt at brewing and it also got the thumbs up from my mates. I had friends around one night for some beers and they left their own shop bought beer behind them favoring the European larger.

oblivious wrote: »
    Get a best bitter kit and sprinkle some shamrocks over it ;)

:D

I might do, there is a thread here dedicated to nettle beer!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

From what the experienced homebrewers say, I'd imagine the Coopers European Lager kit is a blonde ale

I think you may be right as there was no special procedure regarding temperature.

Advertisement