Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiddle me this?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Alright folks
    My mother is buying my sister a new fiddle but theres not many fiddlemakers in Louth.

Rather than going for a local guy just coz hes local is there any fiddle manafacturers in ireland or on the internet that do good quality trad fiddles.

She already has an electric one and doesnt really use the electric part of it so she doesnt need the extra weight.

Obviously price will be a factor and im told that the best sounding ones are fiddles that are broken in but is there any fiddles that once broken in will sound good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Well, depends on how much you're willing to spend, but if its anything decent (and for a violin this will probably be €500+!) then its something that you really need to play in person. Quality instruments in a corny way seem to pick their player so my advice would be to avoid the internet and try to get to as many music shops as you can that deal in violins.

Its something that you really should play in person.

As for used violins that are already "broken in", try buyandsell.ie, gumtree and adverts.ie and see if you can get a deal.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Thanks man
    Yeah i hear ya.to be honest its for a 16 year old who half the time puts up a fight whenever she has to do anything involving fiddle but she does enjoy it as she will practice under her own steam(teenagers eh)

so its a bit of a chore to get her to pick one unfortunately.
    No problem spending upwards of 500 as long as its worhtwhile but i guess its hard to pin down a name brand for such an instrument

Advertisement