Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JTS PDM-1 Microphone

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=27921&cid=329

I have been trying to record with one but have been so far unsuccessful. I am plugging it direct into an Olympus handheld digital recorder using a 3.5mm adapter. but the sound is very bad quality.

has anybody used this type of microphone before ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

An adapter's gonna bring the quality down, but those JTS mic's are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Yes it's a crap mic. Which Olympus?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

this one:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1459

it has a mic female in it. i bought a 20euro mic in argos and it is better quality than the JTS one. the JTS sound is not only bad but unlistenable, hence i thought i was doing something wrong. this is my first mic so lessons learned.

i need a mic that you can connect to the digital recorder i have so will have to do with argos one for now (im on a low budget). this one has a 3.5mm jack so no adapters needed, although the sound is not great either.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

In HQ mode the Olympus doesn't go above 13kHz, and judging from the sketchy specs I'm guessing that means it's 128k mp3 compression, probably less. So even a good mic is not going to get you good quality. But if it's only for transcribing speech it's fine.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    An adapter's gonna bring the quality down
    No it's not.

Advertisement